This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez also known as AOC serves as U.S. representative for New York’s 14th congressional district under the democratic party. AOC is one the youngest Latina women to serve in Congress.

She has continued to grow a group of supporters as she actively and openly fights for women’s rights, climate change, the LGBTQI+ community, and many other injustices in our country. Her delivery is what makes her stand out amongst other politicians, she has passion in her fight.

Here is the best of AOC:

“The idea that a woman can be as powerful as a man is something that our society can’t deal with. But I am as powerful as a man, and it drives them crazy.”

AOC

Girl, yes you are, and so many other women around the world will be too because of her. The youngest Latina female to serve in Congress, period. We as women are powerful individuals continuing to rise in society, it will drive them crazy… let it.

“I will not stay up late at night waiting for an apology from a man who has no remorse over using abusive language towards women. But what I do have an issue with is using women, wives, and daughters as shields and excuses for poor behavior.”

AOC

If we lost sleep at night over any time women in society have been mistreated by men who will never see the wrong in what they did, we would be here for a while. Although using the women in your life as a shield for your behavior (what I see more as an excuse, to be honest) you are a coward, do better.

“But, hey, b*tch*s get sh*t done”

AOC

This one-liner was simple but had the whole world shaking, she had a derogatory term used to describe women and turned it into a sense of empowerment to not only herself but other women who have endured this.

“They’ll tell you you’re too loud, that you need to wait your turn and ask the right people for permission. Do it anyway.”

AOC

Constantly in life, we have individuals who will tell us how to live our lives, but do not listen. You are the one person who truly knows yourself best. Do not let the voice of others hold you back.

“Having a daughter does not make a man decent. Having a wife does not make a decent man. Treating people with dignity and respect makes a decent man. And when a decent man messes up, as we all are bound to do, he tries his best and does apologize. Not to save face, not to win a vote.”

AOC

This is one of the most iconic AOC quotes of them all, in spite of recent comments made by fellow congressmen. There is nothing more aggravating than when sexist comments/actions are backpedaled by name-dropping your closest female relative. Sorry Ted, you are just sexist.

Cassidy is a social media executive for Her Campus at St. Bonaventure University. She loves to use her creative outlet to advance her university's chapter. She has been writing for Her Campus for three years. Cassidy is a third-year student studying psychology with a minor in women's studies. Beyond Her Campus, she is involved in other extracurriculars such as L.I.F.T., Active Minds, and volunteering in the food pantry. She is the president of SBU for Equality. You may find her working in the admissions building as a student ambassador. She is an avid Pinterest user and will bring up how it is the best social media to exist. Her love for music keeps her going, nothing Taylor Swift can't help her with.