This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

I love the English romance/drama “Atonement,” by Ian McEwan, for a number of reasons. I have seen this movie a couple of times and recently learned it was a novel. I quickly ordered it on Amazon, since I was in the need of a new read anyway. I first watched the movie a few years ago, and then somehow, forgot about it. I rewatched it and made my boyfriend watch it, which he surprisingly enjoyed. It’s common to think romance movies are only for women, but that narrative is so false.

I’ll give a little summary of the novel and book (thus far):

No spoilers!

The story begins at the Tallis family’s English country estate (it’s stunning) in 1935, a few years before World War II. The three main characters are the two sisters, Briony, a teenager, Cecilia, the older sister and Robbie Turner, the Tallises’ gardener. Cecilia and Robbie, who are childhood best friends, have unresolved romantic feelings toward one another. The family’s cousins pay a visit and their brother Leon comes home. This is where the story begins to unfold. Briony, a young aspiring writer, plans to put on a play with her cousins’ help. Though the readers and watchers never see a play.

Cecilia and Robbie fail to realize they are in love, at first. Briony, a naive teenager, begins to see bits and pieces of Cecilia and Robbie interacting. Briony starts to think Robbie is a threat to her sister after seeing these quite embarrassing events. Robbie gives Briony an apology letter to give Cecilia, but accidentally gives her a different draft, a coarse draft (one that the young girl was not meant to see). She sees Robbie as a maniac and is very disturbed. This results in a disaster and a series of unfortunate events since Briony misinterpreted her sister’s relationship with Robbie. The novel then jumps to the 1940s, during the war, but it’s not just a war novel. And finally, the novel jumps to the present, which was 2001. I’ll stop there.

It is tragic.

The story is about lost love and the effect that a sole decision can have on others.

The first time I watched this movie, I was beyond angry at Briony. As I read the book, I understand her more and appreciate the storyline more.

I believe the film is a cinematic masterpiece. The music, nature settings and outfits are magnificent. Keira Knightley, James McAvoy and Saoirse Ronan are such talented actresses and actors. They somehow convey unexplained emotions on the screen. Everything fits together perfectly. The rhythm is not only established by the sound but its collaberation with editing and movement. The ending was a huge bombshell as well.

If you haven’t seen or read “Atonement” you really should!

Hi, my name is Marnique, and I'm a senior journalism major at St. Bonaventure University. I love to read and write!