Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Anna & Kristoff: A Healthy Disney Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Now that we are deep in the semester, I have entered my phase of random fixations to get me through. Currently, it is Frozen I and Frozen II. Did you know that the original Frozen is 10 years old this month? It felt like yesterday and forever ago at the same time.

In 2013 every. single. girl. in my 5th grade class sang “Let It Go” for that school’s talent show. You think I would be sick of it but every time I play my Frozen CD in the car that song comes on and I think to myself, “This is an absolute banger, Idina Menzel you are extraordinary”.

As I have grown up, I have realized that these films are much deeper than the awesome music and Olaf being a silly little snowman. Specifically, the relationships within them are profound.

The classic Disney trope involves the pretty girl in need of saving. Therefore, the handsome prince saves the pretty girl.

The Disney films of the past never depicted the types of relationships young girls should value. Until Anna and Kristoff came along.

Here is a list of Kristoff quotes from both Frozen movies that made me realize healthy love is out there:

“Make sure she’s safe.”

After Elsa strikes Anna, the only way to save her is an act of true love. They think the answer to this is a kiss from Prince Hans (toxic). Kristoff immediately pushes his own feelings aside to keep her safe, making the best decision for her well-being. This shows how even before they are in a relationship, Kristoff sacrifices for her.

“I could kiss you.”

Anna gifts Kristoff a new sled after his is destroyed in the mountains. With excitement, he asks if he can kiss her. This is so sweet and finally shows consent, which the other Disney princess movies were lacking!

“I am here,what do you need?”

OKAY, I AM IN LOVE. This scene occurs in Frozen II after Anna and Kristoff have been reunited and Anna is in danger. Kristoff was hurt that Anna had left him but instead of being upset at her or trying to take control of the situation, he supports her and asks what he can do to help.

Imagine if we approached our friendships/relationships in this manner. Not with advice, judgment, or anger. Simply with an “I am here”.

“It’s okay, my love is not fragile.”

When Anna apologizes to Kristoff for leaving him, he reassures her how strong his love is. He put his trust in Anna instead of succumbing to the fear that they would never see each other again.

Kim Mitchell is a member of the SBU Her Campus chapter. This is her second year writing for the site. Kim covers advice and experience pertaining to college life and emotional well-being. She also covers popular media such as trending telivision shows and books. Kim is currently a senior at St.Bonaventure University. She is pursuing a bachelor of arts in psychology and a spanish minor with aspirations to attain a masters in clinical mental health counseling. When she is not writing you can find Kim singing in her church's worship band, outside enjoying nature, or curled up with a good book. She is always down to challenge you in a game of Mario Kart, knowing full well she will probably be in last place.