Career > Work

Advantages and Disadvantages of Working from Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Graduation season is near. Seniors are applying for jobs, getting interviews and receiving offers. Some jobs may offer hybrid or remote working.

Working remotely from home is a huge new trend in the workforce. Since the pandemic caused many businesses to shift to working from home, many companies continued to allow the remote option even as restrictions ended. Some companies have even gone fully remote. They no longer found it necessary to pay for an office building, so they decided to save money and keep everyone working from home.

For many people, working from home is more convenient. Some people had long commutes into the office each day. Because of the use of virtual meeting technology such as Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Google Meet and more, companies are still able to have meetings, just through a screen instead of in person.

There are many benefits to working from home. Saving gas by no longer commuting to work is a nice way to save money. Being able to save money on child care by being there to put kids on the bus and get them off is great for parents.

If you get to work from home, you’re working from the comfort of your own space, can use the bathroom as you please, and can throw laundry in when you have the time. You have access to your own kitchen and can save money instead of spending it on lunches or coffee in or around the office.

There may be some downsides to working from home too. Some people might get distracted by working at home. They may find it easier to get sidetracked or won’t be as motivated to get work done as they are in an office.

Working from home may also lead to a lack of community or teamwork. Not seeing your co-workers and not making small talk or having lunch or coffee breaks together may hinder workplace relationships. There are ways to incorporate a team-driven culture into the remote workday by setting aside time during meetings for small talk and checking in with each other.

Working at home in a space shared with family or roommates might not always be ideal. Having kids, pets or others interrupting a virtual meeting is always a risk. Internet trouble or weak connection is a possibility while working remotely.

Go ahead and explore the option of working at home when applying for jobs or when given an offer. Don’t be afraid to ask if there is the potential to work fully remote or hybrid, part-time at the office and part-time from home.

Hi!! I'm Kelsey and I'm a senior strategic communication major at St. Bonaventure University. I love reading, writing, listening to podcasts and walking!