This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

As both my first and last semester at St. Bonaventure is coming to an end, I want to reflect and give thought to some of my most heartfelt memories. For most of the semester, I felt pretty neutral about my experience here. By the middle of November, I realized that it would be best if I transferred, which I was pretty happy about. As of two days ago, I confirmed my spot at another university.

Now, with today being the last day of classes, I have to say that I’m a bit sad. I know that this is best for my academics and future career, and while there were a few awful things that has happened over the last four months, there were also many memories or aspects that I will miss and forever cherish with regards to St. Bonaventure University and the community within it.

NYC Trip

During the first week of November, my friend and I were able to get a bus ticket to New York City through our school. It was super cheap since we didn’t stay the night, and neither of us have ever been there, so we were super excited. The day before was one of my happiest moments of the semester. We went shopping in Pennsylvania to figure out our outfits, and then hung out for the night, impatiently awaiting our 3:45am bus ride to Manhattan.

Once we actually got there, we walked all around Bryant Park and stopped in multiple stores until we reached Times Square, Rockefeller Center, and Central Park. Unfortunately, our phones were almost dead, so we had an ulterior motive to find outlets. This was way more difficult than we thought, until we stumbled upon a new Raising Cane’s, which also happened to be a restaurant I’ve wanted to try for a while, since there aren’t any where I live. We went to many more stores and saw the Empire State Building.

Before we knew it, our phones were at 10% or less. Fortunately, the bus would be arriving within the hour to pick us up, so we walked through Bryant Park once again to see what may have changed since we were there eight hours before. I was able to sleep for most of the bus ride and before we knew it, we were back in Olean. While this was a hectic event that we could have planned possibly a little better, I don’t regret my decision and know that I will think back about this day for a long time.

My professors

While it’s a known fact that you won’t like every professor that you have, I think I was pretty lucky this semester. With being at a small college, almost all of your professors learn your name and see you as more than a number in a classroom or lecture hall. Many professors of mine have gone beyond that. They try to learn what kind of person each of us are, how we learn best, and those small random details about us.

With that, I would like to thank my professors. Many were very supportive and helpful. Their passion for teaching was clear and beyond helpful in my various levels of success.

the friendships

Over the course of the semester, I have found it difficult to make friends. I realized that with going to a smaller university, that would be an ongoing issue, especially as I am a quieter and kind of awkward person. Even now at the end, I haven’t made many friends. Although this was difficult to accept at first, I have now embraced it.

The friendships that I have made over the last few months will be ones I never forget. These people who I met in the most random and sometimes awkward situations became my support system. They are the people I get dinner with, the people I study with, the people I go out with. They are there for your most exciting, emotional, and monotonous moments. I will forever be grateful for these friendships and the positive impacts they have made in my life.

Final thoughts

I want to give one last thank you to St. Bonaventure and the people that have made my life better and made me happy to be a Bonnie. I recognize that this decision is best for me in the long run but I can’t help but say goodbye to the life I’ve established with a heavy heart. When I meet someone in the future who is somehow connected to Bonaventure and they reminisce on their love that many others hold for this place, I can now understand what they mean.

Rachel is a new member of the St. Bonaventure Her Campus Chapter. She enjoys publishing weekly articles about pop culture, everyday life, and other passions of hers. Rachel is a first year student studying psychology and biology. Prior to Her Campus, she was extremely involved in her high school community in Buffalo, New York. She was secretary of her school's chapter of 1st Amendment 1st Vote as well as members of math team, the Environmental Awareness Committee, and more. Apart from Her Campus meetings, she is a member of SBU's Honors Program, Psychology Club, SBU for Equality, and Concert Band. In time away from her academics, Rachel enjoys spending time with her friends, finding new movies to watch, and listening to music. She also enjoys spending time outdoors, especially walking her two dogs, Jasmine and Finn. Rachel loves to talk about the current TV shows she's watching and Lana Del Rey's music. If you are around her, she will likely be playing a song from NFR or Lust for Life.