This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

It has been about a year in a half since I changed my major.

Coming into my freshman year, I was confident in my decision to be a psychology major. I had a dream to be a social worker or child psychologist – or at least I thought I did. I heard many times in orientation that many students changed their major, in an attempt to “break the stigma”. While I listened to this advice, I never really let it sink in. I knew this advice was never going to apply to me. By February, I was wrong.

When I took my psychology 101 class, this was my first sign. While I did well in the class, I never woke up wildly excited about it. It never filled me with unbridled passion or motivation. I was mindlessly going through the motions at this point, and because I was in my freshman year bliss point, I didn’t seem to mind

This was until I got a Notice Board notification about a new Jandoli school major.

“Communication, Social Justice & Advocacy” 

I immediately texted my friend who was already in the Jandoli school.

I was filled with excitement, curiosity and fear. Fear because I already knew I was going to switch. I remember so distinctively sitting in the Fal lounge talking to my parents about how excited I was about this and they really had to hold me back from immediately switching. 

“At least sleep on it, Claire.” 

Two weeks later, all my paperwork was sent through and completed. I was officially the first Communication, Social Justice & Advocacy major at Bonaventure. 

This change has not always been easy for me. Being technically a year behind in all of my usual grade-level classes, has been a tad bit frustrating. Getting used to new professors, expectations and while past being the era of college transitions was also challenging. 

Besides the frustrating elements at occasional times, this major change has been one of the best decisions of my college career. Because of this simple paperwork change, so many doors have been opened. This was the first time I felt like my passions for social justice and political advocacy could really be tied to a career instead of a side task. 

Additionally, this was another time I really started to feel the ‘small school’ feel. No shade to the School of Arts and Sciences, but because there are SO many professors and majors, I did not feel as homey as I now do in the Jandoli School. Every student needs something different, but for me, I appreciate the smaller touch I have now. 

My advice for anyone: take your time choosing a major. The major you come in with may not be the one you end with, and that’s totally okay. Choose a major that makes you want to leap out of bed. My joy for my major is really overflowing and perfectly crafted for me. I am so lucky.

Claire Fisher is the co-campus correspondent for the St. Bonaventure Her Campus chapter. She is responsible for chapter recruitment communications, editing of weekly articles, general managing of chapter logistics and even implemented a once-a-year print issue of HC at SBU. Claire is currently a third-year student studying Communication, Social Justice & Advocacy with focus on theology and political science. Aside from Her Campus, Claire currently serves as co-president of Jandoli Women in Communication, passionate about representation in the media field, and is a student reporter for PolitiFact NY. Lastly, she is a content creator and the communications officer for St. Bonaventure College Democrats. In her time away from academics, Claire loves to go hiking on local trails and enjoys talking about her love of music. She is an avid Spotify user, and will engage in any conversation regarding Meg March.