jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Importance of Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Black History Month starts on February 1 and ends on March 1.

This month long celebration is typically recognized throughout the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom and recently in Ireland. The significance of this celebration period is to focus our attention on the contributions of African Americans. It honors many African Americans and their achievements, their goals for the future and allows us all to celebrate as a whole. 

In schools we may have heard many stories about African American icons such as Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman, and Frederick Douglass. Although there are so many more these are just a few of the popular African Americans who are now known as trailblazers in America. These people did things that many people believed they could not do. They set the standards high and inspired many African Americans around the world. Each of these men and women fought for their civil rights, equality and justice for future generations. 

During this month of celebration there are many things we can do to help show our love and support for the Black community. Some things we can easily do to help support the Black community is to first off, educate ourselves.

Many of us many not be as educated as we think we are when it comes to talking about Black History Month. We an read about it and how it started and why we should celebrate it. Learning about this and other important factors to society can help us become a well-rounded individual and even can prepare us for educating future generations.

A second thing we can do to help support is shopping from local/small businesses who may be ran or owned by someone from the Black community. Shopping local is always a great way to support someone. Stop into a business get to know their shop and the business itself. Who knows you might just find your new favorite store!

The last simple way to help support Black History Month is by listening to African American artists. There are many older and newer artists of various genres who’s music might be right up your alley. Some African American artists I would recommend are SZA (R&B), Daniel Caesar (R&B), Kendrick Lamar (Rap), Frank Ocean (Pop), and Childish Gambino (Hip-Hop). I am pretty sure most people, especially younger generations, have most likely listened to at least one or two songs by any of these artists. 

Throughout this month it is important that we are mindful, loving, inclusive and grateful. We want those of the Black community to really enjoy everyday, but most especially embrace this month. This is a time to be proud of yourself and your culture and nobody should ever feel ashamed to do so. 

Amanda Ippolito is a new member of Her Campus at the St. Bonaventure University chapter. She is very excited to share her writing with everyone and enjoys writing about topics that relate to pop culture, journal topics, and personal experiences. Amanda is from a very small town, Silver Creek, NY. In her free time she enjoys spending time with her family, friends, and her dog Bella. She also loves to listen to music, go thrifting, cook, browse Pinterest, and go to concerts. When not out and about you can find Amanda working or listening to music. Amanda’s music taste varies from artists like Stevie Nicks and Lana Del Rey all the way to Kendrick Lamar and Deftones. Beyond Her Campus, Amanda is her class’ treasurer and is involved in the school’s dance team, student government association, and college democrats.