5 Charities That Turn Giving Back Into A Fashion Statement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

As a broke and busy college student, I don’t have the opportunity to give to charities or give back to the world as much as I want. However, some companies have chosen to make it easy and fun by creating clothing and accessories to support the cause. Here are five charities that turn giving back into a fashion statement.

1. Lokai

The Lokai bracelets are probably the most popular; I’m sure most of you have a few or have seen them around. These rubber bracelets contain elements from the highest and lowest points of the earth: water from Mt. Everest and mud from the Dead Sea. The black and white filled balls are reminders that in life we will all experience high and low points. This brand has also created some limited-edition camo, blue, pink, and rainbow bracelets to support a variety of different charities. A donation of 10 percent of net profits is given to the 13 different charities they are paired with.

2. Ivory Ella

Ivory Ella shirts have just become popular in the past two years or so. This company crates colorful pastel shirts and accessories to support the elephants. Each shirt has a small elephant logo on the front and a different, bigger elephant design in the back. As of Nov. 4, almost $740,000 has been donated to Save The Elephants through Ivory Ella! So go get yourself a cute shirt and save some elephants!

3. Divinity LA

Divinity LA bracelets are a little less popular, but still just as cute! This bracelet company makes handmade pieces from semi-precious stones, usually consisting of whites, blacks, and blue tones. One aspect of this company that sets it aside from the others, is that they offer products for men. Divinity LA is paired with eight charities that range from water conservation, animal safety, and poverty relief. These bracelets are super simple and could be paired with any look!

4. TOMS

TOMS is a very popular shoe company that most of you have probably heard of. What most people don’t know is TOMS promise: one for one. For every pair of shoes purchased, TOMS donates one pair to a person in need. Instead of donating a portion of their proceeds, TOMS provides immediate relief to those in need. Aside from their classic shoes, TOMS also sells sneakers, hats, boots, and accessories for men and women. These shoes are trendy and support a great cause, so go out and grab yourself a pair!

5. Pura Vida

Pura Vida bracelets are handmade, lightweight pieces made in Costa Rica by local artisans. These bracelets have a simple look and bright colors, and are also extremely cheap and come in small reusable pouches. Most bracelets range from only $5-$15. Aside from bracelets, they also sell rings, clothing, bikinis, and other accessories. Pura Vida is partnered with over 190 charities and has donated close to $100,000 in the past 5 years alone! These colorful accessories are easy enough to wear anywhere and are mostly seen as beach accessories.

Photo credit and Information resources: Mylokai.com, Ivoryella.com, Divinityla.com, Toms.com, Puravidabracelets.com

Buffalo, NY. SBU '20. Strategic Communications and Digital Media Major.
I'm a Junior Strategic Communications major at Saint Bonaventure University, also known as the greatest place on earth. Hobbies include eating ridiculous amounts of food, watching Scandal and swimming. I'm probably wearing converse.