This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

by Sundaria Trapp

Being a woman pursuing STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) can be challenging due to various societal and systemic factors. There’s a pervasive stereotype that STEM fields are more suited for men, which can lead to discouragement and lack of support for women who are interested in these fields. There’s a stereotype that women are less naturally inclined or capable in STEM subjects compared to men, leading to doubts about their abilities. Society often expects women to pursue traditionally female-dominated fields like nursing or teaching rather than STEM, reinforcing the idea that STEM is not for them. Women in STEM may face doubt or resistance when aiming for leadership positions, as there’s a stereotype that men are more suited for leadership roles in technical fields. Women in STEM may encounter stereotypes that they cannot balance demanding careers in STEM with family or personal life, leading to fewer opportunities or pressure to prioritize one over the other. 

The underrepresentation of women in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) fields persists despite progress in recent years. Historically, women have been underrepresented in STEM professions, leading to a lack of female role models and support networks. Women are underrepresented in the STEM workforce, particularly in certain fields such as engineering and computer science. This lack of representation limits diversity of perspectives and ideas within STEM industries. Women are less likely to pursue degrees and careers in STEM fields compared to men. This inequality starts early, with fewer women choosing STEM-related subjects in school and continuing into higher education and professional settings. Women are often underrepresented in leadership positions within STEM industries and academia. This lack of representation at the highest levels can keep barriers going for advancement for women in these fields. In STEM fields, women often face a gender pay gap, earning less than men for similar work. This inconsistency can discourage women from entering or remaining in STEM careers. Women’s contributions to STEM fields are sometimes overlooked or undervalued, leading to a lack of visibility and recognition for their achievements. 

Women in STEM often face bias and discrimination in hiring, promotion, and recognition, which can create additional barriers to success, where their qualifications and achievements are undervalued compared to a man. STEM workplaces may have cultures that are unwelcoming or hostile to women, with instances of sexism, harassment, and micro-aggressions contributing to a hostile environment. Women in STEM may have limited access to opportunities such as research funding, project leadership roles, or speaking engagements, which can hinder their professional advancement. Women’s contributions to STEM may be overlooked or attributed to male colleagues, leading to a lack of recognition and credit for their work. Women in STEM may face barriers to networking and mentorship opportunities, which are crucial for career advancement in these fields.  Women in STEM may have limited access to mentorship and networking opportunities, which are crucial for career development and advancement in these fields. 

Women in STEM may encounter barriers to accessing professional development opportunities such as training programs, workshops, and conferences. Without adequate support for skill-building and career advancement, women may struggle to progress in their careers. Women in STEM may lack advocates and champions who can support their interests and promote their visibility and representation in the field. Without advocates pushing for gender diversity and inclusivity, women may struggle to overcome systemic barriers and biases. Women in STEM may face challenges balancing their professional and personal responsibilities, particularly if they lack support from their employers or peers. Without flexible work arrangements, parental leave policies, and other supportive measures, women may feel pressured to prioritize either their careers or their personal lives. Women in STEM may work in environments that do not prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion. Without support from their organizations or institutions, women may struggle to address issues such as bias, discrimination, and lack of representation. Despite these challenges, many women are breaking barriers and excelling in STEM fields, and efforts are being made to promote gender diversity and inclusivity in these areas.

Sundaria Trapp

Savannah '24

Hello my name is Sundaria Trapp. I am a Senior majoring in Electronics Engineering Technology with a minor in Mathematics at The Savannah State University. I enjoy shopping, watching tv shows/movies, being on my social media platforms and many more activities. Once I obtain my degree I want to establish an hands on career within my field but if that does not work out I would like to go back to school and obtain a masters in education so I can teach high school/college math.