This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

The purpose of music is limitless. A versatile empowering woman who uses the gift of music as a remedy for healing, a sense of clarity, and a way to uplift the African-American community is the Tulsa, Oklahoma born and raised singer-songwriter Natalie Lauren. Natalie’s debut album “Handle with Care” embodies her life experiences.

Natalie shows up in a very personal and intimate way as a musician and as a woman. When writing music she puts her fondest memories with family, friends, and the people of her community  at the forefront with a strong sense of love and pride for them. In many of the muscian’s music videos the people she’s familiar with are present and shown in a loving manner. A behind the scenes video for Natalie’s music video “Something Something” on her official website features various childhood friends and family members. “I wanted the people I grew up with, nieces and nephews, real stories, stories that I know, stories that I’ve lived,” she said.

The track “Something Something” discusses an emotionally defeated Black American mother struggling to raise her children. Lauren speaks of God coming to save the woman from her agony and deprivation stating that ‘God is up to something’ for the greater good of the mother’s wellbeing. 

As a musician Natalie’s music conveys a style of realism. Her music is relatable and plenty of music lovers from the south specifically Black Americans can relate to her lifestyle and music. Natalie posted on her  Twitter account: “Family, friendships, trustworthiness and consideration are the things that make my heart happy. I will never trade any of those things for money.” She deeply cares for her family and intentionally plans to make them a part of any opportunity recieved, whether that is with music or any other form of artistry. The lyricist’s songwriting approach is very poetic consisting of beautiful in depth lyrics. Natalie is a storyteller who uses specific encournters in life to create music.

Natalie’s album “Handle with Care” consists of twelve tracks. Many songs on the album such as “Something Something”, “Bra off,” and “Back to Love” describe a few of the hardships and trials African-Americans face in the world.

Her track “Bra off” is an inspiring anthem for young Black girls with a heartening feminist message. The song talks about Black women releasing the burden of society’s expectations, such as what to look like and how to behave. Natalie said in an interview with James D. Watts Jr. a reporter for the news outlet Tulsa World“My art advocates for the voice of Black women like my grandmother and mother.” The phrase “Bra off” is a concept she created encouraging Black women to release the idea of what a woman is supposed to be in the world and to be themselves or simply human.

The southern vocalist shares compelling messages when writing music shedding light on political and social issues such as the unrealistic standards put on Black women in society to the unjust circumstances black people deal with in America.

Natalie’s song “Back to Love” may seem like it deals with the infatuation of a significant other, however the influencing song discusses the African-American community and the struggles they face, but the community can count on each other during hard times. The song also speaks about the culture of black people in the south, which is a consistent theme in a lot of her music.

One of the singer’s most recent singles “Swoonin” takes a step out of her comfort zone of talking about the respect and admiration she has for family and friends in her music to talking about a potential love interest. “Swoonin” is the story of an innocent blissful crush with an upbeat R&B sound. However the subtext of the song is a message of motivation. The song’s purpose is to motivate people to give into their passions and desires and to not be ashamed of them. When the single was first released Natalie posted on her Facebook account “Giving yourself permission to say yes to the small wonders of life that invite you into love, partnership, joy, and adventure without negotiating with fear.” The vocal powerhouse encourages her listeners to cherish the love they may have for anything. 

Natalie’s music also discusses the common theme of understanding not to stress about troubling times in life. She uses a lot of gospel influence in her music considering she is a very religious individual. Natalie’s music and style provides listeners with an understanding of who she is and how she was raised. The musical artist said in an interview with Celeste Daniella Ceres a reporter for the online music publication EARMILK‘Handle with Care’ didn’t involve my business mind at all in its formative styles. It was therapy for me.”       

The singer’s music speaks heavily on mental health and reminds people not to become overwhelmed or depressed with negative situations and to enjoy the good times in life. Natalie is an inspiring musician and her individuality shines through her music.

Kelis Robinson

Savannah '23

Hello I’m an aspiring journalist who’s passionate about telling stories to the world in an informative, relatable, and positive manner.