This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

by Akiele Nelson

The movie separate but equal which stars Sidney Poitier as Thurgood Marshall gives a detailed summary and analysis of the brown versus board of education case. Movie goes into detail about how third good Marshall got his case taken to the Supreme Court and the importance and affects it had an African-American children in segregated schools. For example they make a note to include at Clendon County of South Carolina spent $179 on each white student year round and only spent $43 on African-American students. This is just one example of the inequalities seen within the segregated school system and what Thurgood Marshall fight against within the Courts. It started in South Carolina bringing it to the smaller court but when Thurgood Marshall decided to question the ideals of segregation it had to be taken to the Supreme Court because he was challenging the constitution and the law said in place by the 14th amendment. Before it could be even taken to court petitions were signed, the NAACP mean head public forums, and Black people were met with resistance and the rise of the KKK. It was the height of the civil rights movement and a lot of African-Americans thought that fighting for equal but separate would win them more wars than fighting against segregation. Black people wanted to make more progress but not jump the gun. Thurgood marshal took it upon himself to make the executive decision to move forward with the brown versus education case. The Brown versus Board of Education case not only took a toll on public education, but also brought to light the mini inequalities that southern African-Americans face even in light of the 14th amendment. The 1991 expanded upon trials and tribulations Black people had to face before actually having equal rights. The movie also expanded upon the idea of separate but equal being nothing more than a fantasy or a goal that would never be possible. Separation still equals differences, Which will create mindsets of inferiority in all future black students and black communities as a whole. The brown versus Board of Education case tested the limits of the US Constitution and the addition of the 14th amendment. Men despite race who upheld the law were being challenged about the validity and truthfulness behind the law. It was not just about South Carolina upholding the Constitution but deciding whether the constitution was actually beneficial for the growth of African-Americans. This case made white and Black people question the morals within their home and question the rights and decisions made by the constitution and the 14th amendment.

Reviewing this movie as a future educator makes you look at black education differently. Things like Ferguson versus the Board of Education in brown versus the Board of Education cases pave the way for integrated schools. It makes Black educators and viewers see the importance of integration. The importance stems from being able to have better resources and get used to society. Public schools and universities had an immigration problem and caused a lot of black students to either drop out, never get a secondary education or unable to get in to better educational institutions. As a black woman pursuing education, movies like separate but equal make you Think about the privilege and growth that we’ve been able to produce overtime. But also how far we still have to go, when it comes to funding and title one schools. It is important that students are able to have resources on all fronts no matter the socioeconomic status, race, or sexuality. For example, the brown versus Board of Education case started because a little black boys parents spoke up about the mini African-American children having to walk home. This shares light on the importance of resources like buses, books, food, and just basic necessities that black schools lack back then. After years of fighting for equal rights amongst black students and integrating them into white public school systems, we still see a lack of resources throughout the United States. It is our job as black educators to provide and petition for those resources despite location or Socio economic status.

My personal feelings about the movie made me more appreciative of the education I’m able to obtain now. But it also made me question how many resources were unable to obtain and don’t fight against. While I was watching separate but equal made me think about the fact that we had to fight for the bare minimum and now that we have tan for the bare minimum, we need to fight for better. These upgraded resources are not just for future black educators like myself, but also for future black students and current black students. In order to have a future with better doctors, lawyers, engineers, mathematicians, teachers, artist, scientist and social workers, we must be able to give them more knowledge and resources that can better the future. A better future will create a better military, a better economy, better Socio economic status, less homelessness, and better education for students. Providing resources to students are helpful for everyone. This movie made me realize how much of an advocate I am for providing better resources for African-American kids and other children as well. I know as a teacher I will make it my mission to provide the best education possible for my students. People like Marcus Garvey, Rosa Parks, Thurgood Marshall, Ida B Wells,  and WEB Du Bois have all influence Black people and black students lives over the decades. It is our job as black educators to make sure that their efforts for African-American prosperity and growth didn’t go to waste. As future black educators we have to remember that things might’ve not been as bad as they were during the civil rights movement but we can do better as a community and as a people by providing the necessary resources for growth and success.

Akiele Nelson

Savannah '24

Currently An undergraduate junior at the University by the Sea, Savannah state studying Middle Grade education & a minor in Behavioral Analysis. I, Akiele Nelson am a poet, writer & romantic. Hopefully you enjoy my content, feel something and maybe relate to my words. They say a poet is first firstly, a person passionately in love with language.