samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Donald Lee Jr: Man of the Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

Our VP and Social Media Director Naomi had the chance to get to know one of the most involved and most known people at Savannah State; Donald Lee Jr. Donald was awarded with Man of the Year 2017-2018 and is also one of our Community Assistants at SSU. Keep reading if you want to know more about the incredible young man behind the suit and tie. 

Naomi:  What made you decide to attend Savannah State?

Donald: The reason that I chose to attend Savannah State University because I felt deprived of African American History. I felt that Savannah State University would give me a better understanding of the resilient and powerful heritage that I come from. Nevertheless, it will also give me an opportunity to continue the legacy.

Naomi: What is your major, why did you choose it, and what are your plans after graduation?

Donald: My major is Criminal Justice. I choose to become a criminal justice major because I feel like I can make a change within my community. If I can influence someone he or she can pass the word around to their friends. I am currently P.O.S.T (Peace Officer Standards Training) certified. So, after I graduate I would like to become a United States Marshall and help fight crime.

Naomi: What organizations are you involved in and why did you decide to join?

Donald: I serve as a Community Assistant (CA) on campus. Community Assistants are arguably the most significant role on any campus, as they interact daily and often one on one with residents to ensure that they are receiving excellent customer service, staying connected to the school, and feeling like an integral part of campus involvement. The reason that I became a Community Assistant was because of my roommate TaQuevious Rice and the fact that I needed a source of income. I realized that the amount of work that you do does not equal to how much you get paid. However, over time you tend to adapt a love and passion for what you do because you like to see people grow into the intelligent person that they are. Lastly, being a CA gets you out of your comfort zone and force you to communicate which was something I needed help with.

Naomi:  What’s your favorite thing about attending an HBCU?

Donald: My favorite thing about attending an HBCU is that you are not just a number in the classroom. HBCU’s have caring professors and faculties. The professor really takes out a lot of time to make sure that you are on top of your academics and would love to see all their students succeeds.

Naomi:  If you could change one thing about SSU what would it be?

Donald: If I could change one thing about SSU it would be the food selections. I feel like SSU need better varieties of food that the students can choose from.

Naomi:  What’s your opinion on the HBCU vs. PWI debate?

Donald: Whether you attend an HBCU or a PWI I feel like college is what you make it, however being surrounded by Black people just as beautiful, brilliant, and driven as you are—can do things for your personal growth and development that a PWI cannot. The friendship that you forge while attending an HBCU will last a lifetime. Plus, it is a lot of fun. From homecoming, to the step competitions, to the parties, Black people know how to turn up!

Naomi: What advice would you give to incoming freshman?

Donald: Some advices that I would give to incoming freshman would be to stay out of trouble because trouble is easy to get into but is hard to get out of. Stay on top of your academics; it is easy to get caught up in having “too much fun” so learn how to balance your time. I would also tell them to get involved. By getting involved it will open opportunities for you to acquire internships as well as networking opportunities. Lastly, I would tell them to enjoy your undergrad years, cause after you graduate in 4 or 4 ½ years you will be focusing on enrolling into grad school or finding a job within your field.

Naomi:  What do enjoy doing in your free time?

Donald: I enjoy spending time with my little brother, watching Joel Osteen, having fun with my friends, and playing League of Legends.

Naomi: What are you most passionate about in life?

Donald: I’m most passionate about leadership and my little brother. I’m passionate about leadership because there is lack of it, I feel like I can influence it and make a difference. I’m passionate about my little brother because without him I would have no reason to push myself to be the best that I know I can be.

Naomi:  One quote that you live by?

Donald: One quote that I live by would be from an African proverb: “It takes a village to raise a child”. As a leader on campus, big brother, and a son. I realize that nobody can do it on their own. We all need somebody that we can lean on when times get rough.

Naomi: What’s something most people don’t know about you?

Donald: Something that most people do not know about me is that I do not like cheese. I find it weird because I like pizza which has cheese on it but I don’t like Marconi or Lasagna. It sounds crazy, right?

Naomi:  What are the best and worst moments of your college experience so far?

Donald: I haven’t had any worst moments but, my best experience would be campaigning to become the 2nd Mister Savannah State University. It gave me the opportunity to show the student body, faculty, and staff who I am as a person. Although I did not win Mister Savannah State University, it has not deterred me from knowing that there is a place on campus for me to take a leadership position, so I can use my story and passion to encourage and motivate others. My experience taught me how to use losses and turn them into strengths and to stay positive and motivated despite them.

Naomi: Last but certainly not least, how does it feel to be Savannah State University’s Man of the Year 2017-2018?

Donald: It is an honor to be Savannah State University’s Man of the year. It made me realize that hard work never goes unnoticed and someone is always watching you at all times. Honestly, it still feels like a dream. It has not hit me yet that I am the “Man of the year” for the ENTIRE school. Overall, I would most definitely say it is a humbling title.

21 year old, black, lesbian, Scorpio woman, from Queens, NY currently living in Atlanta, GA. Senior mass communications major at Savannah State University with a minor in dance. I am a dancer, model, actress, and writer. I'm clumsy, I love animals and anime, I'm terrified of bugs, and i hate pickles. In my spare time I love to read, catch up on my fave shows, volunteer at the animal shelter, excersise, spend time with my family and friends, travel, and cuddle with my girlfriend.