Donald Rutledge: How Champions Are Made

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

Otissia: How would you describe your college experience? 

Donald: It’s one I won’t forget I can say that for sure. Did some things I otherwise probably wouldn’t do, seen some things I you don’t see on the daily. They say college is the best four years of your life and they wasn’t lying

Otissia: Why did you decide to attend Savannah State University

Donald: When I transferred from my last school I was looking for a place that would help me excel in my major and on the field and Savannah State seemed like a good fit

Otissia: As a Junior what do you wish you could have told your freshman self? 

Donald:My biggest tip to my freshman self is to build a solid work ethic on the field and off because it all correlates

Otissia:What motivates you to keep going knowing how hard college can be?

Donald:I got pictures of my mother and my sisters just about everywhere in my spot, in my car, in the locker room, on my phone, those are my babies. They’re the first thing I see when I wake the last thing I see before bed so whatever hardships I have to go through to see to it that they have a better life is nothing.

Otissia:What I your favorite part about college?

Donald: College Football and having the support of the school behind us

Otissia:What is your favorite memory as a freshman & Junior

Donald: Well I wasn’t at SSU as a freshman but my favorite memory from my sophomore year is homecoming week most definitely. That whole week up until the game I was deep in my bag!! 

Otissia:What advice can you give incoming freshman?

Donald: It would be to manage your time wisely and to give your GPA some breathing room. What I mean by that is while you’re taking the easy freshman courses do your best cause once you get to the major courses that GPA will take a hit lol

Otissia: If you could go back and relive or redo any experience in college what would it be? 

Donald: Man I don’t really know I kinda live it all to the fullest so no regrets

Otissia: Who’s your biggest inspiration?

Donald: My oldest sister Ashley, she just always does the right thing and growing up not really having the male figure around I always tried to be like her because she had all the friends, participated in all the sports and was always getting all the praise academically for just doing her.

Otissia:We noticed your work with children, do you enjoy mentoring youth & why? 

Donald: I like this question! Rutt love the kids! I can go all day about thing that I’ve done or the people but im just grateful for the opportunity GOD bless me with to be a mentor to not only kids or any who looks to me for words of wisdom

Otissia: What are you most proud of accomplishing in college? 

Donald: This still to be written

Otissia: What is your major & why did you choose it? 

Donald: Civil Engineering and I chose this for one because I’m great with math and I love problem solving and testing my mental to find multiple solutions to a problem and also that’s a career field that will always be around. Engineers are in high demand because a lot of people aren’t capable of passing the qualification

Otissia: What do you hope to accomplish after graduation? 

Donald: I have many different avenues I wouldn’t mind taking but they all will lead to my success

Otissia: How important is football to your life and would you consider doing any other sport? 

Donald: Football takes me way back to where I was getting kicked out of school and the only thing that kept me out of trouble was to play football. It got me to this point in college so I give a lot to the game. Only other sport I’ll compete in may be track.

Otissia: If you could change one thing about your college career what would it be? 

Donald: Im contempt with this story as of now

Otissia: How important is a college education to you?  

Donald: It’s a must, I’m a student first so I pride myself on taking care of my business in the class room because as I said before it all correlates into your everyday life

Hi, My name is Otissia McKinnon. I was born and raised in South Georgia and now I currently attend Savannah State University as a Social Work Major. Helping those who are unable to help themselves is my passion and I intend on making it my life's work. I thoroughly enjoy writing, editing, building and branding social media content. My future plans are to build a women's organization that not only empowers the youngest of hearts but encourages girls as they grow older to be the most loving and successful versions of themselves they can be.