To Work or Not to Work?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

For many collegiettes, this is THE question. We all know that the expenses of college and living in general are going up, which in turn makes the financial future of college students a bit shaky right off the bat.

However, being a full time student can be a 24/7 job. This makes it difficult to find time and energy to add on a part time job.

Now that the semester is rolling, it may be a good time to start thinking about this. Although many people have strong opinions on this subject, every collegiette should seriously consider her options. The situation is different for everyone. For those who worked a summer job, the money may not stretch the entire year. For those who didn’t, relying on parents isn’t necessarily always the most appealing option. For everyone, the debt is only piling up. Despite this, time and energy are both rare resources in a collegiette’s life—so be sure to put thought into the decision before picking up extra work responsibilities.

How can a girl make such a big decision? Here are some factors to consider:

1.  Your Parents: Are they helping you out with tuition, groceries, cell phone bill, or gas money? If they are, be sure to thank them profusely. You probably can breathe a little easier knowing that it isn’t vital that you make money right now. If they aren’t (and even if they are – it’s just good practice), make sure you have a budget and stick to it! By doing this, you can decide how much money you have, and whether or not it is enough for you to live the life you want during college.

2.  Your Future: What is your resume looking like these days? Could it use a little beefing up? Maybe you have come across a job directly related to your field of study. If this is the case, see if it works with your schedule. On the other hand, how will being away affect your schoolwork? If your grades and performance will suffer because you have a job, then reconsider. Additionally, don’t forget about all those loans you will need to pay back (as if anyone actually could forget). Would it be most beneficial to start earning and saving now?

3.  Your Extra-Curriculars: What are you involved in? Is there more you wish you could be a part of on campus? Being involved can be just as useful as having a job. Extra-curricular activities can be resume builders as well, but they can also take up a lot of time. Maybe you will find that you are passionate about something through this type of involvement. If you find yourself wishing you could spend more time being on campus working on clubs and projects, it is possible that your time could be more well spent on volunteer work than paid employment.

4.  Your Life Balance: This is the most important factor, in my opinion. Will you be happy with the way your life is if you have a job? Is it something that fits into your schedule without being too stressful? Will you feel like you are missing opportunities to make memories with your friends? However, if you find a job you enjoy, it may be just the fulfillment you have been looking for. Additionally, some fun activities require money, and a job can be useful in that way. Before anything else, make sure that everything you are doing has a purpose and makes you happy. If you aren’t enjoying your time in college, you are missing out on an amazing experience. Make sure that whether or not you choose to work, volunteer, or be completely dedicated to your title of “student” that you are enjoying life. We all know that we only get one shot, so make it what you want it to be.

Mary is a senior at St. Ambrose University majoring in English and journalism. She is originally from Naperville, IL and hopes to one day be back in Chicago. In the past Mary has interned for Sourcebooks, a publishing company in Naperville, and this past year she studied abroad in London and interned at Parliament. She hopes to one day be an editor in publishing at a magazine or at a publishing group like Penguin. Besides being the founding editor of Her Campus St. Ambrose, Mary is also a writing tutor at St. Ambrose. In her free time, she loves to travel, hang out with family and friends, and shop a little bit too much at Gap and J. Crew!