This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

I know what you’re probably thinking, and yes I know, the title is a loaded statement. But, I firmly believe it to be true. Halloween isn’t just about skeletons and ghosts and other scary things. Whether you like the horror aspects of Halloween, or if you don’t like those parts, there is still enough that everyone can have fun with.

You get to dress up. Personally, this is one of my favorite parts about Halloween. Unless you do cosplay or dress up regularly, most people can only use Halloween as an excuse to dress up as someone else. In my opinion, I feel like we should have more days of the year where we can dress up along with Halloween, but that’s beside the point. With Halloween costumes, there are almost no rules. How many times in your life do you get to dress up as anything you want (as long as it’s not offensive or harms anyone in any way)? Not many. Dressing up on Halloween isn’t just for kids.

You have a chance to show off your creativity. This kind of goes along with the last point, but making Halloween costumes is a great opportunity to show off how creative you are. You can do this even if you aren’t making your costume. You can come up with a creative costume, pair together different articles of clothing and accessories to make a character come to life, and also make a costume. Personally, I made most of my costume this year. Not only will showing off your creativity get you compliments (and who doesn’t love those), but it’s also really fun and rewarding once you get to see everything come together.

Halloween is also associated with arguably the best season. This last point is probably a little biased, but I still stand by it. Halloween comes around during one of the best times of the year. In the Fall, there are trees changing colors, going to a pumpkin patch, taking your friends to a corn maze, or picking apples at an orchard. Not to mention haunted houses if you’re looking for something a little scarier. Looking forward to Halloween also means that you get to look forward to all of the fun things that the season has to offer.

Most people I know either love Halloween or don’t really like it. I can understand why people might not like it. If you’re still on the fence about Halloween, I think you should consider all these points and also keep an open mind. You never know if Halloween might scare its way into your heart.

Madeline is a VP and Creative Director at HC @ SAU. She oversees social media posting on all platforms. Beyond HC, Madeline is involved in Chemistry Club and the Women's Swimming and Dive Team. She also works in the Chemistry Department as a Lab Prep worker. Madeline is majoring in Chemistry with a minor in Mathematics. In her free time, Madeline enjoys crocheting, reading, streaming on Twitch, learning languages, and writing and playing songs. Fun fact: she would be 3/4 of an inch taller if she didn't have scoliosis. "Find inspiration in the ordinary."