SAAT Take Back the Night
SAAT Take Back the Night
Photo by Veronica Alfred
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

The content of this article is sensitive and may trigger some viewers. The following contains discussions of sexual assault/related topics. Viewer discretion is advised if you would like to proceed. 

What is a sexual assault advocate?

If you or someone you know has experienced a sexual assault there are confidential advocates on campus that will listen, believe, and assist you in any way possible. Even if you have experienced something but are not sure exactly what happened you can always reach out to an advocate to talk it through. All individuals are encouraged to contact us for support regardless of gender, sexual orientation, and race. We strive to create a safe space for all communities to receive the help they deserve. 

How can they help you?

Advocates can provide:

• Emotional Support
  • Someone to talk to that is Confidential
  • Knowledge on relevant medical, legal, and school policy matters
  • With Additional Resources

Advocates are completely confidential. That means that your experience and information will never be shared without your explicit consent. If you would like to seek medical care, report to law enforcement, or alert the school an advocate can assist you in the process and provide emotional support. That said, we will NEVER force you to tell anyone or do anything that you are not comfortable with. At the end of the day we are here to support you, but you decide what that looks like. 

How can you contact us at SAU?

• Email -SAAT@sau.edu

What training have we gone through?

On campus advocates have completed a 36 hour sexual violence advocacy training through Family Resources. We recognize the systemic barriers survivors face and work to create a safe support network on campus. 

Who are the advocates?

We currently have 5 trained advocates with 9 currently in training on campus.

Keirstyn J

Keirstyn is a Forensic Psychology and Criminal Justice major. She is involved in SAAT as the Treasurer and Head Advocate. This is her second year as an Advocate. She is also the Women’s basketball manager. She lives off Campus but you can still contact Keirstyn and she is a Senior.

Veronica A

I am an Early Childhood Education Major with an Endorsement in Special Education and a minor in Music. I am involved in Her Campus as the Campus Correspondent(President) and in SAAT as the  Director of Social Media & Secretary. I work in the D.E.I. office as the D.E.I. Ambassador. I am also a member of DAPi. I am a brand new Advocate and I live in North Hall.

Julia F

I am a Forensic Psychology Major. I am involved in SAAT as the D.E.I. Representative and Co-Executor. I also have gotten involved in Her Campus as the D.E.I. Representative, PRISM and on the Golf Team. I am a new Advocate on our campus. I live in a townhouse and I am currently  a Junior.

Hailee H

Hailee is an Accounting Major with minors in Finance and Criminal Justice. They are involved in SAAT as the Co-Executor. Hailee is also involved in PRISM as one of the Heads and on the Bowling team. They are a brand new Sexual Assault Advocate. Hailee lives in Davis Hall and is a Sophomore.

Dakota O

Dakota is a Biology & Criminal Justice major with a minor in Chemistry. They are involved in SAAT and choir. Dakota is a brand new Sexual Assault Advocate. Dakota lives off campus and is a Freshman. 

SEXUAL ASSAULT: If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, you can call the National Sexual Assault Telephone Hotline at 800-656-HOPE (4673) or visit hotline.rainn.org.

Veronica A(V) is the Campus Correspondent at HC @ SAU. She oversees the entire chapter including editorial, events, social media, etc. Beyond HC, V is involved on campus. She is the President of DAPi. She is the Social Media Director for SAAT, and a Sexual Assault Advocate. Veronica is majoring in Early Childhood Education with an endorsement in Special Education and a minor in Music. She is currently student teaching!!! In her freetime, V plays the flute and other instruments and can sing. She used to play and coach softball. Veronica was born in Florida but now lives in Illinois. She also has 2 cats at home. She was the D.E.I. Ambassador for 2 years.
Hello, I'm a junior forensic psychology major at St. Ambrose University. I enjoy golfing, reading, baking, and just about any other old lady hobby you can think of!