Top Ten Things To Do in an Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

1. Sell yourself.  Tell them every little thing you do. Mention all volunteer work, clubs and anything that will make you stand out from other candidates.

2. Don’t say “uhm” or “like” This is a lot harder than you think. Try practicing it in every day talking. For example, when you are talking with friends, cut out those filler words.

3. Have multiple resumes ready. Typically the employer has your resume on file, but always have an extra to give to them directly. This will also help if you are afraid of eye contact. If the employer is looking at your resume, then they are not looking at you!

4. Bring a portfolio. Bring anything that you are proud of. For example, case studies you have done in class or big research projects. The employer might not care or even look at it, but if you bring it and explain what is inside, it shows that you put in more effort. This part will help you more than you think.

5. Practice what you are going to say. 99.9% of the time in an interview you will get asked the question, “So tell me about yourself?” Practice what you are going to say. Mention your major, activities, and leadership experience. Then follow up with handing them the portfolio that you will bring ;)

Dont be like Michael. 

6. Dress to impress. Blazers/jackets are a must. Blazers automatically make you look older and more mature. Try your best to wear dress pants or a nice professional skirt.

Nothing too flashy! 

7. Try to talk about other topics besides the job. If you end up talking about topics you and the employer enjoy, talk more about it! This helps you connect on a different level and it makes you seem enjoyable to be around. And who knows, you guys could end up being best friends. 

8. Don’t Freak Out. If you do not get the job, it’s okay. There is always a better one. Don’t psych yourself out if you don’t need to.

9. Ask Questions. They will ask “Do you have any questions for me?” Here are three questions you can ask:

• What is something you wish you knew before going into this field?
  • What is your favorite part of working here?
  • What is something you are looking for in an employee?

10. Send a follow up email after your interview. After a few days or one week, send an email thanking them for the interview. This shows that you really care and that you are going one extra step. 

**Photos courtesy of Google

Her Campus at SAU