Top 5 Reasons Why YOU Should Get Involved With Dance Marathon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

As many of you know, Dance Marathon’s Big Event is in a few days, and we couldn’t be any more excited! What sounds better than making a change and spending twelve hours on your feet surrounded by some of your best friends? Just because the Big Event is almost here, doesn’t mean that you still don’t have time to participate. Registration is still open and donations are still being taken. Whether it’s by signing up as a dancer or simply making a donation, here’s a list of 5 reasons why you should get involved with St. Ambrose’s Dance Marathon.

1. It’s FUN. There are only so many things to do in Davenport, Iowa, and many of those activities get old after a while. By signing up for Dance Marathon, you not only get to experience something out of the ordinary with a day of dancing, socializing and activities, but you’re also signing up to make a positive difference in your community as well. And let’s be real; spending twelve hours away from your couch and Netflix account can’t be that bad.

2. The KIDS. Have I mentioned that you’re doing all this for a cause—the kids?! By participating as a dancer, you get to celebrate the lives of children and families treated at the University of Iowa Children’s Hospital. Seeing the kiddos at the Big Event is one of best parts of Dance Marathon. Hearing their stories and seeing their eyes light up in a room of more than 600 dancers is something that’s impossible to forget.

3. The ATMOSPHERE. Being in a room surrounded by people who share a common goal—to raise money for a great cause—is such a fulfilling feeling. Twelve hours can be a long time, but DM members make sure to keep the day fun and fresh. Events are planned throughout the day to keep the positivity alive and to keep the laughs coming.

4. The EMOTIONS. The DM Big Event may be one, giant emotional rollercoaster, but it’s totally worth it. The twelve hours consist of some of the highest highs, but feelings of empathy are also almost guaranteed. The big reveal brings one of the most satisfying feelings to everyone involved, and tears (happy tears of course) are bound to fill the room.

5. The MIRACLES. Every donation made is essentially a miracle that’s being made. By signing up as a dancer or simply giving a donation, you’re giving kiddos the chance to laugh more laughs, smile more smiles and dance more dances. Dance Marathon is a great organization that is making a huge difference not just for Ambrose, but for kids all over the country as well.

So if you haven’t already, sign up as a dancer and participate in the Big Event on Saturday from noon to midnight. You definitely won’t regret it. If you still aren’t sold on participating in the Big Event, making a donation is still just as fulfilling. Just remember, it’s all for the kids.

Images courtesy of St. Ambrose University Dance Marathon

I'm Amanda, a junior PR major at St. Ambrose. I enjoy long walks on the beach and queso.
Her Campus at SAU