This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

To start, I have to be honest, I am incredibly biased on this topic. The movie I’m going to talk about is something that I have been looking forward to for months. But, here are my reasons why I think you should go check out the upcoming movie Suzume.

“Suzume, a 17-year old girl who lives in a quiet town in Kyushu, encounters a traveling young man who tells her ‘I’m looking for a door.’ She follows after him and discovers a weathered door in the ruins in the mountains, as if it were the only thing left standing from a collapse. As if drawn by something, Suzume reaches for the door… Before long, doors begin to open one after another in various parts of Japan. As disasters come from the far side of the doors, the open doors must be closed. The stars, the setting sun, and the morning sky–in that place she wandered into, there was a sky that seemingly blended all of time together. Guided by the mysterious doors, Suzume’s ‘door-locking journey’ begins.” (from myanimelist.net).

This movie comes out in theaters in the US on April 14th. After reading the synopsis if you’re still on the edge of whether or not you should watch it, here are some reasons why:

1. The visuals are bound to be stunning. The director of this movie is Makoto Shinkai. All of his movies are known to be absolutely stunning and breathtaking. His movies have a way of making the unreal seem real. There are bound to be breathtaking landscapes and frames that will leave you in awe. If you search for the movie Your Name on google images, the first few images serve as evidence for the beauty that can be found in Shinkai’s films.
  2. The soundtrack is guaranteed to be fantastic. The right music and soundtrack and either make or break a movie. But in the case of Makoto Shinkai movies, they add so much. Whether you are listening to the music while watching the movie or just listening on it’s own, the music does such a good job at evoking emotion in the listener. I can vouch, as I have almost cried a few times just from listening to the soundtracks of Shinkai’s movies. 

I can’t speak to the actual story of the movie but, at least to me, it seems like an interesting premise and definitely isn’t something that I’ve seen before. Overall, I am definitely hyped to see Suzume in theaters and I will in fact be trying to drag as many of my friends along to see it with me as I can.

If you want to check out any of Makoto Shinkai’s other movies, I highly recommend Weathering with You, 5 Centimeters per Second, and Your Name (my personal favorite).

Madeline is a VP and Creative Director at HC @ SAU. She oversees social media posting on all platforms. Beyond HC, Madeline is involved in Chemistry Club and the Women's Swimming and Dive Team. She also works in the Chemistry Department as a Lab Prep worker. Madeline is majoring in Chemistry with a minor in Mathematics. In her free time, Madeline enjoys crocheting, reading, streaming on Twitch, learning languages, and writing and playing songs. Fun fact: she would be 3/4 of an inch taller if she didn't have scoliosis. "Find inspiration in the ordinary."