Stinger Style: The Do’s and Don’ts of Interview Apparel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

We’ve all been there. There’s clothes all over your floor and you’re trying on your fifth different outfit and you’ve now resulted to trying to combine them all into one. Trying to find something to wear an interview can be almost as stressful as the interview itself. Here is what you should and shouldn’t, by any means, wear to your interview coming up.

TOPS

DO’S:

• Blazers! Blazers! Blazers! I cannot say it enough! Blazers will be a key part of your wardrobe when it come to interviews. Now only do they look professional, but they also allow you to wear those bikini strap and strapless shirts that aren’t appropriate to wear alone. Blazers are by far my favorite part of my professional apparel and I am not afraid to admit that I own as least five, all different styles and colors.

• Try to wear loose shirts that are natural colors. The last thing you want is to wear something so tight that your are uncomfortable sitting there as you answer questions

DON’TS:

• Avoid, at all costs, neon colors. You do not want to blind the people interviewing you when you walk in with that neon orange or yellow shirt you got back in high school.
  • If you can’t raise your arms without your stomach showing then throw that shirt into the NO pile. 
  • Low cut shirts are a big no-no. You want to show your future employers that you respect yourself.
  • Shirts with words = shirts to wear to bed or class, not an interview.

BOTTOMS

DO’S:

• The simple khaki’s and black dress pants are always a YES! Although they are super simple, they are super easy to match with basically anything, thus making your outfit finding process much easier.
  • Skirts are always fun, too. Just remember, they need to be appropriate. Make sure that they are an appropriate length, usually to your knees, and NOT tight. Also, and again, make sure they are natural colors. 
  • My personal favorites are bootleg dress pants, usually in black or navy blue. They’re perfect.

DON’TS:

• Jeans are a HUGE no. All this tells your future employer is that you didn’t really put that much effort into your outfit and that may reflect your work ethic.
  • Yes, we all love you wear them, but leggings and yoga pants are not acceptable.

SHOES

DO’S:

• Flats will become your ultimate best friend.
  • When it comes to heels, always chose something short and comfy. I personally would recommend booties, especially in the colder seasons.

DON’TS:

• DO NOT wear “stripper heels”. This includes any heel over four inches and anything that includes sparkles. However, if you can rock a nice six inch heel, actually being able to walk properly, then own it. 
  • Tennis shoes. Come on people, let’s not be dumb here.
  • While we all love our favorite pair of Uggs, just don’t.
  • Flip-flops are meant for summer fun and the beach, not an interview.

OTHERS:

• When it comes to accessorizing do not overdo it. There is not need to wear five different rings, a statement necklace, a thousand bracelets, and huge earrings. The less, the better. 
  • Do not, I repeat, do not, go to an interview with your hair a mess. This includes being wet from your shower, bed head from your nap, or pure laziness. Take the time to put effort into your hair. Also, do something your comfortable with. The last thing you want is to try a new hairstyle and be left in the bathroom crying because you can’t get it to look right. 
Hi my name is Vic(Tori)a. I enjoy eating endless amouts of potato chips and regretting it afterwards, shopping even when I can't afford it, and checking things off my to-do list.
Her Campus at SAU