Stephanie Seward, ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

If you have ever stepped foot in The Galvin Fine Arts Center, you have surely seen or heard the singing of this week’s campus celebrity.  Stephanie Seward ’13 is a theatre major from Bettendorf, Iowa.  This “busy bee” is involved with the university chorale, chamber singers, St. Ambrose vocal jazz (Stamvoja), and is involved in every area of the theatre.  When she’s not on the Allaert Auditorium stage, you can find her performing at Live at the Lounge.  

Her parents are SAU alumni and continue to come to campus, lending a helping hand with the music and theatre departments. One of the factors that helped Seward follow in her parents footsteps was the Ambrose Theatre Department. “It’s very small, so you get a lot of personalized attention and some very unique opportunities. I think hands-on is the only way to learn in theatre, so it’s been very helpful for me,” Seward said.

Performing has always been a part of Seward’s life, joining choir in kindergarten and dance classes at age eight.  Her first theatrical production was School House Rock Jr.  She has been involved with a countless number of productions since then in a variety of different theatres.

Seward was the 5th Ambrose student to be named “The Michael Kennedy Scholar”.  In order to receive this scholarship, an applicant must be a first-year theatre major at St. Ambrose, showing a dedication to both work ethic and humor. After having participated in two Ambrose productions as a high school student, Seward was given this award as a freshman. 

When asked, “What is your favorite role you have done and why?”, she said Janet Van de Graaff in The Drowsy Chaperone here at SAU.  “I had seen it twice before we decided to do it and that character really appealed to me.  She’s definitely an ingénue (which I am not accustomed to playing), but she’s a ridiculous and goofy one so it was a TON of fun. The show is so clever and hilarious, and I got to act opposite one of my favorite people ever, Ross Epping ’11!”

Her favorite memory within the theatre department, though there are many, includes her big success at KCACTF last school year.  KCACTF is the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival and is a regional festival held every year in which college theatre students come together to attend workshops, see shows and partake in the Irene Ryan acting competition.  Last year, Seward was one of 296 nominated to compete in the Irene Ryan’s.  Pairing up with Aaron Randolph III ’12 she not only got to the second round to compete against 64 actors, but made it to the final round of 16. This is an outstanding accomplishment and opportunity for any performer.

This week Seward is in Ames, Iowa competing once again in the Irene Ryan Competition with partner Molly Conrad ’14.  Seward was nominated for her role in “Lady Windermere’s Fan”.  No matter how far she makes it this year, she is always going to be a winner in our book. 

As Seward moves through the many stages of her life, Ambrose is proud of the special moments she has shared with us in and out of the spotlight. 

A lover, dreamer and overachiver.