Some (not) Terrifying Halloween Facts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Unless you’re a religious fundamentalist or a severe samhainophobic (yes, they do exist), chances are you enjoy Halloween. And seeing as you’re a college student, you probably enjoy knowlege, too. So, in the spirit of Halloween, I spent my morning searching for facts about the holiday, and compiled the best into a short list.

Orgins

Considering how commercial it is nowadays, it’s surprising to learn that Halloween was once a very holy day, particularly for the Celts in ancient Ireland. For them, October 31st was New Year’s Eve, and the day when the barrier between the human and spirit worlds was the thinnest. They dressed in costume not to get candy or compliments, but to disguise themselves as spirit, in order to escape the notice of the real spirits roaming about.

Today, the end of October and beginning of November still holds religious significance in many cultures. In Mexico, they celebrate Dia de los Muertos, Teng Chieh in China, and Yue Lan in Hong Kong, and many other festivals in other countries, all of which are meant to honor and remember the dead.

Name

Far from being just “Halloween”, October 31st has been known as All Hallow’s Eve, Hallowmas, Samhain, Witches’ Night, All Soul’s Night, and many other names in Europe and America alone.

Legends and History

Trick or treating is said to go as far back as the middle ages, when the poor would beg for sweet bread and say prayers for dead relatives.

Jack O Lanterns were first made in Ireland, not from pumpkins but from turnips. According to legend, a man named Jack tricked the devil so many times that he was denied entrance into both heaven and hell, and was forced to wander eternally trapped in this world. Jack O Lanterns were meant to represent the lantern he carries.

Other Trivia

In terms of spending, Halloween is second only to Christmas.

Harry Houdini died on Halloween in 1926.

The record for most Jack O Lanterns ever lit is 30,128 in Boston, Massachusetts.

New York City’s Village Halloween Parade, with over 50,000 participants and over two million spectators, is the largest Halloween parade in the US.

Both Salem, Massachusetts and Anoka, Minnessota are self proclaimed Halloween capitals of the world.

Black and orange are known as Halloween colors. Orange symbolizes stregnth and endurance, while black symbolizes darkness and the unknown.

The largest pumpkin ever measured was grown by Norm Craven, and weighed in at 836 pounds.

Some more useful knowledge

Halloween is a day to dress up and have fun. It is a day for children in particular to enjoy themselves, but in some places, especially urban areas, this is not possible. They face danger from traffic accidents, poisoned candy, and other things. Even if you think you’re too old for trick or treating (which, by the way, you never are), you’re not too old to hand out candy during Halloween in the Halls, when faculty and staff bring their children to campus for trick or treating, in order to let them have fun in a safer environment.

No matter how you spend this Halloween, I hope you enjoy it safely and responsibly. Happy haunting!

I am an exceptionally ordinary Freshman, currently majoring in English and procrastination.
Her Campus at SAU