Single or Taken, It Doesn’t Matter: What Valentine’s Day is Really About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

On February 14th, a holy priest in Rome was beaten with clubs and then beheaded after Claudius II and the prefect of Rome attempted to make him renounced his Catholic faith. The holy priest’s name was Saint Valentine, and he was originally arrested because he was marrying Christian couples, which was against the law, and for giving aid to martyrs. We celebrate Valentine’s Day on February 14th in honor of his martyrdom. Saint Valentine is the patron saint of affianced (married) couples, lovers, engaged couples, and happy marriages. Hitting close to home on the St. Ambrose campus, St. Valentine is also the patron saint of beekeepers!

So, one might ask, what should I expect on Valentine’s Day? First Valentine’s Day with a new boyfriend? First Valentine’s Day without a boyfriend? Don’t care for Valentine’s Day? Here is what some collegiettes on campus are planning:

If you’re in a relationship:
“Going to dinner and maybe a movie.” -Meg

“Eating dinner somewhere with my boyfriend and studying.” -Stephanie

“I’ll be doing homework.  My boyfriend goes to a different school!” -Tara

Personally, I’ll be celebrating Valentine’s Day with my boyfriend this weekend and can hopefully talk him into going to see The Vow. Come on, what more could a girl ask for – some boyfriend time AND Channing Tatum? Yes, please!

If you’re single:
“Going to dinner with a close friend.” -Marissa 

“On Valentine’s Day, I  have to work at my job at Hallmark, helping guys find last minute gifts!” -Sarah

“No plans, but I’ve always wanted to be asked out on a date on Valentine’s Day!” -Meghan

“Getting dressed up and going to dinner and to see The Vow with other single girls!” -Brittany

“Going to the movies to see The Vow.  I will be wearing my sexiest intimates too!” – Daniella

“Me and my roomies will be doing dinner and a gag gift exchange!” – D

“Probably going to see The Vow and get dinner with my best friend.” -Colleen 

Whether you’re hanging out with your girlfriends or your boyfriend, make the most of your Valentine’s Day. Go see The Vow, starring Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum, take a walk around Vander Veer, pass secret love notes, exchange gag gifts, or pass out some chocolate and cuddle up on the couch. February 14th is about spreading love, whether that’s to your girls or to your man. 

Mary is a senior at St. Ambrose University majoring in English and journalism. She is originally from Naperville, IL and hopes to one day be back in Chicago. In the past Mary has interned for Sourcebooks, a publishing company in Naperville, and this past year she studied abroad in London and interned at Parliament. She hopes to one day be an editor in publishing at a magazine or at a publishing group like Penguin. Besides being the founding editor of Her Campus St. Ambrose, Mary is also a writing tutor at St. Ambrose. In her free time, she loves to travel, hang out with family and friends, and shop a little bit too much at Gap and J. Crew!