This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

The orange, the green, the Facebook posts, and the pressure.

Without looking at the title of this article and without finishing reading that list, I’m sure you already knew what this article was about–SAU Dance Marathon.

I know that with SAU DM comes obnoxious Facebook posts, dancing, and bright colors, but it is honestly so much more than that.

I’m not going to sit here and write about why I dance or what this organization means to me. I am going to tell you what it can mean to you. My freshman year I registered to be a “dancer” because everyone was doing it and one of my friends was a morale captain. I raised $20. I showed up to the big event halfway through (partially because I had dance team dress rehearsal). I considered taking a break and going to get dinner somewhere else, but I stayed. 

I didn’t stay because everyone else was or because I didn’t want to eat anymore–I stayed because something hit me inside and urged me to stay. So I stayed, I watched the executive board committee members, and dancers cry when the big number was revealed at midnight. I also cried because I saw how much it meant to people and how it impacted them. That’s when I knew. So here I am two years later, the Communications Chair on the PR/Marketing committee. I am helping make miracles every single day. 

So that was my story, but I promise I’m done talking about myself. I’m sure some of you have read the “Give DM A Chance” blog on their website. Is it a beautifuly written blog encouraging people to give Dance Marathon a chance? Yes. Am I going to post the link now so you can go read it? Duh.

http://www.saudm.org/#!blogger-feed/c15t8/search/give%20Dm%20a%20chance

If you are sick of the “over-the-top” SAU students always running around in orange and green asking people to sign up for DM, then read the DM blog.

If you are a registered dancer but don’t really understand what is going to happen THIS SATURDAY MARCH 5 AT 12 P.M. then continue reading. 

I can tell you that even if you don’t show up to the big event Saturday and have the moment like I did my freshman year, it will still be 100% worth your time. You will get to see all the hard work us “crazies” have put into this event all year. You will get to see the amazingly wonderful kiddos that we dance for. You will get to buy cool apparel to rock all next week. You will also get to hear the stories of our kiddos and realize how unbelievably blessed you are. 

SAU DM has raised close to $400,000 FTK in only 4 short years. Not many small universities can say they’ve done that. Wouldn’t it be cool to be a part of that?

This year every dancer must raise $50 to attend the event, but think of how many miracles just $50 can make. 

Dance Marathon is an amazing organization everywhere, but there is something about SAU DM that makes it so special. SAU DM is organized by the most hard-working, passionate, tight-knit group of students. I personally can tell you how much passion goes into planning this event from each and every committee member. Being a small school allows every student involved to make an individual impact on these families’ lives. Are other school’s DM’s awesome and wonderful too? Absolutely! But SAU DM has definitely changed my life and who I am, and I know for a fact that it has impacted so many other SAU students’ lives too. 

After reading this, I would hope you understand the impact SAU DM has on students, kiddos, and the community. If not, I’m sorry but thanks for at least reading to the end :) Please visit the link below to register and help us make miracles this Saturday. 

https://events.dancemarathon.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=register.start&eve…

*In case you didn’t notice…SAU DM 4 is taking place this Saturday March 5th, noon-midnight in the SAU Rogalski Center. You can register online or in the cafe this week. We are trying to raise $200,000 FTK this year and we can’t do it without you.

XOXO,

Alyssa

Im Alyssa. I dance and sing for fun (not always well).Im way too sassy for my own good and cant wait to start my career. 
Her Campus at SAU