Pumpkin Spice Latte (over ice) Local vs. High Chain Coffee Shops

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Fall is in the air and to celebrate we have to get all things pumpkin, especially the famous pumpkin spice latte (PSL)! I spent all this week trying pumpkin flavored coffees from local and high chain coffee shops. I know traditionally, PSL is meant to be served hot, but I decided to spice things up and do something different. To judge the coffees, I decided to compare the taste of pumpkin, coffee, and if the price is worth it (college life, gotta make every dollar count!) From the best to the worst, here is a list of 6 coffee shops in the QC serving PSL! 

1. Pumpkin Cold Brew from AWAKE in Rock Island 

Large for $2.50 

This was the most surprising, least expected, best pumpkin flavored coffee I had. The flavor was rich in the taste of pumpkin and the kick of coffee was sufficient. As well as the price, you CANNOT pass up at all. It also kept me up to do my homework which was truly helpful.

2. Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino from Starbucks  

Small for ~$3 

I honestly had low expectations for starbucks because I tried their pumpkin cold brew and I was truly disappointed. However, their frappe was amazing. The pumpkin flavor was very distinguishable and it had a milk/latte taste. The price is reasonable for Starbucks, but much rather get a vente for ~$5 to make it all worth it.

3. PSL over ice from Dunkin’ Donuts

Small for $3.50

Honestly was not too bad, but could have been better. The latte flavor was in the taste, but needed a stronger pumpkin taste. The price was not worth it.

4. PSL over ice at Atomic 

Small for $3.45

I was very disappointed with the PSL at atomic. The flavor lacked in taste, however, the signature Atomic coffee flavor was present. I’m not sure if the reason why I didn’t like it was because I got it over ice versus hot, but I was not pleased.

5. PSL over ice at Coffee Revolution 

Small for $3

The pumpkin flavor was nonexistent. Again, it probably goes back to the cold versus hot PSL. Maybe???

6. PSL over ice from McDonald’s 

Small for $2 

This PSL did not taste like PSL. I could taste the latte, but the pumpkin flavoring did not exist. I felt like I had to stir the coffee more to get the flavor to mix but it did not turn out too well. Overall, not the greatest. 

AWAKE, Starbucks, Dunkin, Atomic, Revolution, McDonald’s

I enjoy living in the moment & try to be happy most of the time.
Her Campus at SAU