Pros and Cons of Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

We’re nearing the end of finals week and there’s only one thing on our minds. “Get me to winter break.” Despite all of the wonderful elements of winter break, many of you may not know that it’s not all rainbows and butterflies. For you to understand that winter break isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, I’ve compiled a list of pros and cons. Enjoy!

Pro:

NO SCHOOOOL!

Take a break from homework, unwind and de-stress. For a full month, there will be no need for coffee-induced breakdowns or 4:00AM stress cries. It’s just you, your couch and Netflix.

Con:

No school = no life.

Binge watching another television series on Netflix is fun and all, but after four continuous days on the couch, your couch potato status might not be that exciting anymore. When it’s 1:00 in the morning and you realize your friends aren’t down the hall, you may just find yourself missing school.

Pro:

You can have all of the home-cooked food you ask for.

Not only is winter break a break from school, but a break from the caf as well. Enjoy all of the home-cooked food you could wish for…turkey and chicken and veggies, oh my! And don’t even get me started on all of the Christmas cookies…

Con:

“I swear these jeans fit before I came home.”

Four course meals are fun and all, but only in moderation. Keep it up and you may just find yourself enjoying the food a little too much. Grandma’s Christmas cookies may be “to die for,” but are they really what you should be eating for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

Pro:

You get to catch up with all of your friends from home.

No longer will monthly, hour-long phone calls be needed to know all the hot gossip of home life. Catching up with friends from high school is easier than ever. With one full month of break, it shouldn’t be hard to find time to hang out with everyone you’re wanting to see.

Con:

You’re missing your friends from school.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and it won’t take long to realize you actually miss the friends who drive you crazy. Who knew that after a few days you’d actually miss 2:00AM homework sessions with your roomies? The distance may be too hard to bear, but it’s only going to last one month! 

Winter break is finally here Bees, so enjoy—both the good and bad!

I'm Amanda, a junior PR major at St. Ambrose. I enjoy long walks on the beach and queso.
Her Campus at SAU