Life > Academics

Playlists To Help You Study and Survive Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

It’s that time of the semester that we all spend an excessive amount of hours staring at notes in preparation for final exams. It’s easy to become very stressed, overwhelmed, and struggle to maintain focus and energy, for that matter. This is for those of you that are more productive and appreciate the aid of instrumental music. For all your studying needs, here are a few of the playlists that have helped me greatly this semester. I am leaving out playlists that tend to be made specifically for studying since they are not difficult to find. These are my hidden gems that fewer people know about!

*This list is tailored to Spotify for specific playlist titles. However, other platforms most likely have similar ones, as well. 

1. Coffee Shop Jazz

This playlist does exist, but any jazz-themed playlist that reminds you of something you would hear while sitting in a coffee shop is fitting. These songs are relaxing while also preserving your focus on the task at hand. I have a preference for any track that includes soft rain sounds under the music!

Some other related playlists on Spotify are:

-Autumn Coffee Shop Jazz

-Rainy Coffee Shop Jazz

-Coffee Shop Tunes

-Jazz in the Background

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Original Game Soundtrack

Did you know that games like Skyrim have soundtracks developed specifically to help with focus? Well, it definitely works! I find that this soundtrack in particular is crucial for intense studying that requires a lot of attention and information processing. I prefer the softer pieces over the battle music as I find it to be peaceful and makes the time feel like it’s passing by quicker (and less dreadfully). The artist behind these songs is Jeremy Soule, and I highly recommend discovering his other music as the ambiance is similar!

1. Stranger Things Soundtracks (Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein)

These are admittedly my favorite playlists to put on when I am studying and working on anything else in general. This is partially because I am a huge fan of Stranger Things, but the official soundtracks are undeniably good! My favorite of the three is the soundtrack from season two, but all are mesmerizing and can send you into a deeply concentrated work mode. I work the quickest with this type of music playing. If you’re a fan like myself, you may find yourself distracted from time to time thinking about the next season. Even if you have never watched this show, I at the bare minimum think that you should give the soundtracks a listen!

1. Resident Evil Save Rooms

You can probably guess it, I am also a fan of the Resident Evil franchise. While these games are action-packed, the save room themes are calming and perfect for studying. Some of the pieces have an ominous or eerie sound to them, so if that’s your style, this is a perfect fit! This list in particular is the best for background music that allows you to get lost in your work. This is also one of those lists I recommend having an open mind to even if you do not care for the origin!

Hello! I am a Forensic Psychology Major with Minors in Criminal Justice and Sociology. I am the secretary for Sexual Assault Awareness Team and am involved in STEP and Psychology Club at St. Ambrose University. In my free time I enjoy painting and embroidering, being a dog mom, and spending time with my friends!