New Year New Vibes Concept Option 2?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
New Year New Vibes Concept Option 2?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
HCM Design
Wellness

New Year, Same Me, New Vibes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

By: Veronica 

Every year we hear people say “New Year, New Me” but rarely stick to it, so this year I decided to throw a new twist on this phrase. I decided to say, “New Year, Same Me, New Vibes”. I figured that there are a few things that I can do to make a change for me this year that can actually be attainable. Here are some of the things I have already done or plan to do for 2022!

• Change my Hair: My hair is usually super long and goes halfway down my back. I decided that to give myself a new look I could shorten my hair a bit and give it some new color. I cut off 6 inches which is a lot for me since I only have ever done 3 inches maximum in the past. I love my strawberry blonde hair color but wanted to spice it up a little bit, so I dyed the under section of my hair muted red. 
  •  Try some New Clothes: I don’t mean get an entirely new wardrobe because that is expensive, time consuming, and a lot of work. I am saying every month buy one to two outfits or a few tops, bottoms or dresses just to get something that makes you feel good about yourself and toss a few items that you haven’t worn in a few months or may no longer fit or may not be your style.
  • Start a New Workout: Obviously saying that you want to go to the gym everyday is an unrealistic goal. Sometimes saying you want to go so many times every week seems daunting, so last year I decided to set a number of times I wanted to go every month and it worked for me because it was a lot more flexible to say I want to go between 10-15 times a week. I did eventually break it when my semester this fall became overwhelming, but it is definitely worth trying to bring back to life this year. 
  • Create Me Time: Every month has its own challenges, so take a day or two every month and have “Me Time”. You don’t need to spend a lot of money to do this. It can be as simple as reading a new book you have been dying to read or an at home spa day or going out to find a new hobby or try something you have always wanted to do. 
  • A Tight Circle: This pertains to friends. We all have a lot of people in our lives, but everyone needs a small group of people who they can also depend on to tell them the truth, give advice, share emotions, and be there for when things get rough. Find a group of people, probably no more than 5 or so, that are “Your People” or just have one and then they can be “Your Person”. 

We all know how hard it is to keep New Year’s resolutions so why waste all the time to write and have a “New Year, New Me” when in reality a week later, or a month if you’re lucky, you will break most. I prefer to know my limits and be honest with myself that I have a better chance to try to improve parts of myself to make a better whole rather than throw my whole life out the window to be brand new and struggle or completely fail. This year, why don’t you try “New Year, Same Me, New Vibes”.

Veronica A(V) is the Campus Correspondent at HC @ SAU. She oversees the entire chapter including editorial, events, social media, etc. Beyond HC, V is involved on campus. She is the President of DAPi. She is the Social Media Director for SAAT, and a Sexual Assault Advocate. Veronica is majoring in Early Childhood Education with an endorsement in Special Education and a minor in Music. She is currently student teaching!!! In her freetime, V plays the flute and other instruments and can sing. She used to play and coach softball. Veronica was born in Florida but now lives in Illinois. She also has 2 cats at home. She was the D.E.I. Ambassador for 2 years.