Mariah Balinski, ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Traveling is something most college students dream about doing. For Mariah Balinski, it has become more of an addiction than a dream.

Coming from the typical small town of Lemont, Ill. where everyone knows everyone else, Mariah spent pretty much her whole life with the people she had always known. In high school, she was involved in clubs, soccer, and cross country.

When Mariah came to Ambrose, she continued running as part of the track and cross country teams. Now, she is also a member of the new running club.

“Of course there were many moments when the running got tough, but the people on the team are absolutely amazing. They always know how to put a smile on my face and were there to push me to do my best.”

Mariah has also participated in Students Making a Difference (SMAD), Students Emerging as Leaders (SEAL), and intramural activities.

However, her favorite part of the experience has been the study abroad experiences Mariah has participated in. Mariah is a double major in exercise science and Spanish, and these trips have contributed to her Spanish education. She spent a month in Oveido, Spain, which Mariah says is one of the “prettiest cities she has ever seen.” Last spring, Mariah spent the entire semester studying in Mexico.

“I learned a ton of Spanish and made some wonderful friends when I was there. I would give anything to go back!”

On the other hand, Mariah is also very focused when it comes to academics. Being an exercise science major, Mariah hopes to become a physical therapist someday. She has already been accepted into Ambrose’s Doctor of Physical Therapy program. In fact, it is one of the main reasons she came to SAU.

“Ambrose is one of the few schools in the Midwest that offers direct admission to their program for individuals who apply in high school.”

That’s not all that she loves about our campus, though. “I love that I can walk around campus and know and say hi to a majority of the people I walk past. The faculty here is amazing and truly makes an attempt to get to know students by name and is always more than willing to help.”

Of course, Mariah always comes back to appreciation for the opportunities she has had to explore the world and highly recommends study abroad to all other students. Because of her trips, she has even bigger plans for the future than just becoming a physical therapist.

“I want to travel as much as possible! I have become addicted to traveling and experiencing new things. I think the world has so much to offer and I want to experience as much of it as I can.”

Her Campus at SAU