Kemper Rusteberg, ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

The face of this week’s campus celebrity is probably quite recognizable to collegiettes™.  I feel safe in making this statement because Kemper Rusteberg is involved in several organizations on campus.  He has a smile for anyone he passes on the sidewalk, and Kemper encompasses what it means to be a true Ambrosian.

Kemper is a cheerful sophomore from Park Ridge, Ill.  He is an international business major with minors in environmental studies and organizational leadership. 

However, his presence at Ambrose goes far beyond academics.  Kemper is a Resident Advisor in Bechtel Hall and hopes that through this role, he is a role model for collegiettes™. 

It is through clubs and organizations on campus that Kemper has learned to be a person who others can look to for inspiration.  Without organizations on campus, Kemper “would not be where he is today.”  The first club he got involved with is GreenLife, of which he is now vice president. 

“The environment has always been a concern for me, and this organization offers me a great outlet to make real changes to make the campus more in sync with nature.”

Kemper also influences Ambrose as a part of student government.  He is a senator and a part of the publicity committee.  Through this position, Kemper acts as a voice for collegiettes™ on campus.  He is always open to hear from students.

If you are free on Monday nights, you might run into Kemper in the Gottlieb Lounge for Brewed Awakening.  This is a group who meets to listen to speakers.  The topic is normally religious based, but the religion varies from week-to-week.

“The kicker is we have lattes and espressos. It is a great way to end a long Monday. All are always welcome.”

These are just a few of the ways in which Kemper is active at St. Ambrose.  He is also involved with Ambrosians for Peace and Justice, Campus Ministry, the sustainability committee, and focus groups that discuss the future of campus.  If you have any ideas for how to make Ambrose a stronger community, Kemper can be a strong voice to have behind you.

The highlights of Kemper’s career at St. Ambrose so far are attending Antioch, which was the “highlight of the year” for him last year, and studying abroad in Israel this past winter break. 

“I had the time of my life and was able to grasp a wide perspective of the area, both Jewish Israelis, Muslim Israelis called Betawins, and Catholic Plantains.”

Although Kemper has been involved in so much and has greatly influenced the Ambrose community, he is quick to point out that it takes many people to make a change.  “It’s never one person who makes changes, but rather a group.”

Because of this, he encourages everyone to get involved.

“The most difficult part is diving in head first and simply showing up to a meeting. I don’t know any club or organization where one would not be welcome. If you want a good experience you need to take ownership and make it a positive experience.”

If Kemper could choose to do anything, he would go back in time to experience history first-hand.

Mary is a senior at St. Ambrose University majoring in English and journalism. She is originally from Naperville, IL and hopes to one day be back in Chicago. In the past Mary has interned for Sourcebooks, a publishing company in Naperville, and this past year she studied abroad in London and interned at Parliament. She hopes to one day be an editor in publishing at a magazine or at a publishing group like Penguin. Besides being the founding editor of Her Campus St. Ambrose, Mary is also a writing tutor at St. Ambrose. In her free time, she loves to travel, hang out with family and friends, and shop a little bit too much at Gap and J. Crew!