Jessica Gascho, ‘16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Now that we have really gotten into the semester, freshmen are starting to really be seen and make a difference around campus. This week’s Campus Celebrity proves that.  Math education major, Jessica Gascho has definitely made an impact here at Ambrose, as well as other locations around the country.

Jessica has come to Ambrose from Crystal Lake, Ill. mainly because of her Catholic faith. She was very involved with her church at home during her high school years, and she has made three mission trips to New Orleans.

SAU’s Catholic affiliation is what stood out most to Jessica. “My faith matters most to me.”

She appreciates being able to “to go to Mass on campus, attend bible studies, take theology classes, and just interact with other people who share the same faith and love for Jesus as me.” At this point in her college career, Jessica is also considering adding an interdisciplinary minor in Catholic studies.

Making the decision of where to go for college, Jessica discovered her independence. Her other choices were Bradley University, her mother’s alma mater, and University of Iowa, which her father attended and her brother is currently attending.

That independence has also driven Jessica to become very involved quickly at SAU. She is a part of many organizations, including TOMS club, Ambrosians for Peace and Justice, Campus Ministry, Habitat for Humanity, and JV cheer.

Jessica has not only been involved in extra-curricular activities, but she is also making her presence known in the academic world of St. Ambrose. This has actually been a surprise for her.

“My mom had to convince me to apply for the academic community. I expected there to be a bunch of socially awkward people who kept their doors shut. I’m glad I gave it a chance because I absolutely love it!”

The academic floor in North Hall has really become home for Jessica. She says that all of the residents are very close and supportive, including her RA, Emilee Steinbach.

Not only is she a part of the academic community, but she is also a part of the Honors Program. This program works like a learning community: the same group of students takes three different but related classes together. She has met most of her closest friends through this program. The difference between the Honors Program and a typical learning community is that they also have social events and service opportunities.

“We are currently planning on having an event for ‘Charity Water.’ We plan on fundraising enough money to put in a well in Rwanda.”

Jessica plans on staying just as active throughout the rest of her time at SAU. She takes her inspiration from Mother Teresa: “Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier. Be the living expression of God’s kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile.”

These are the words Jessica lives by.

“That’s what I want to do here. I want to be the living expression of God’s kindness, and I want to make people happy.”

Mary is a senior at St. Ambrose University majoring in English and journalism. She is originally from Naperville, IL and hopes to one day be back in Chicago. In the past Mary has interned for Sourcebooks, a publishing company in Naperville, and this past year she studied abroad in London and interned at Parliament. She hopes to one day be an editor in publishing at a magazine or at a publishing group like Penguin. Besides being the founding editor of Her Campus St. Ambrose, Mary is also a writing tutor at St. Ambrose. In her free time, she loves to travel, hang out with family and friends, and shop a little bit too much at Gap and J. Crew!