Jason Richter, Director of Student Engagement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

If you’ve been to an event put on by a club or organization in the last year and a half, it is likely that Jason Richter had a hand in making it possible.  Although he is known simply as “Richter” to many of the students who know him, he is more than just a friendly face at Ambrose.  As Director of Student Engagement, Richter’s job is to be accessible to the student community as it tries to create and sponsor new activities. 

Collegiettes™ may know the Student Engagement office as its old title: Student Activities.  Through Student Engagement, clubs and organizations, Campus Activities Board, Intercultural Life, and Leadership Programs receive guidance and co-sponsorship to bring entertaining events to Ambrose.  Recently, Game Night and the mentalist were brought with the influence of Richter and his office.

Richter humbly would not take much credit for his work here.  Since he has only been here since summer 2010, he is waiting for his four-year anniversary to gauge his influence here.  However, it is clear that he is here to provide more opportunities to collegiettes™.

“My passion will be allowing the students to have their passion flow through the university.  I still think students are trying to find their voice.  I’m here to hopefully assist in that process.”

As for the direction Richter thinks Ambrose is headed?

“The vision really needs to be created by the students.  I’m only the Yoda, if you will, to 2,700 Skywalkers.”
For collegiettes™ who want to become more involved, Richter is the guy to go to.  More than anything, he stresses involvement around campus.  Whether it is going to a sporting event, starting a club, or meeting up in the game room, Richter encourages it. 

“It is very simple.  Go. Do. You won’t be able to escape engagement if you get involved.”

If you need a place to start, Richter suggests the Destination: Leadership conference.  It will be held February 4th from 9:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M. in the Rogalski Center.  Here, students can network and meet many influential people.  The conference is a great way to become involved and develop leadership skills that will be useful at Ambrose and into the future.  Register for the event, free of cost, online. 
http://www.sau.edu/News_and_Events/Student_Affairs_Office_Events/E120204_DESTINATION_LEADERSHIP.html

Richter is also the advisor for the TOMS club and the Peer Mentor Program, both of which you can read more about on Her Campus SAU.

Richter is from Sioux City, Iowa and came to Ambrose from St. Mary’s University in Winona, Minn. in summer 2010.  SAU has provided a much needed challenge for him, and he is appreciative of the welcome he has received here.  Richter is married to his wife Tina, and they have two young sons, Jackson and Carter, with a new baby due at the end of April.

For any collegiette™ looking to get involved, I encourage you to go talk to Jason Richter.  Students are his passion, and he is always open to new faces and fresh ideas.

Mary is a senior at St. Ambrose University majoring in English and journalism. She is originally from Naperville, IL and hopes to one day be back in Chicago. In the past Mary has interned for Sourcebooks, a publishing company in Naperville, and this past year she studied abroad in London and interned at Parliament. She hopes to one day be an editor in publishing at a magazine or at a publishing group like Penguin. Besides being the founding editor of Her Campus St. Ambrose, Mary is also a writing tutor at St. Ambrose. In her free time, she loves to travel, hang out with family and friends, and shop a little bit too much at Gap and J. Crew!