Life > Academics

I’m Actually Excited to Go Back to School

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

I know that seems like a weird thing to admit, but it’s true. You always hear all these jokes about everyone dreading going back to school, which just makes me feel weird. As much as I love having some nice moments by myself in the house, lazing the day away while the snow piles up outside, I really am excited to go back.

I want to say it’s partially due to the excitement I have for my classes coming up, and I really am excited for most of them. Medieval Literature and Intro to the Bible are two main classes I’m interested in, and I also have a creative writing workshop class which is just my favorite sort of environment for writing. I’m just hoping that it’s not too much of a slog to get through or too much work needing done. 

See that’s the other thing that makes me feel confused about actually wanting to go back to school. Like I said there’s nothing better than a day where you can sit back, and truly relax. You don’t have to go to work, or even do much else besides the basic things you do every day. The problem with these days though is after a while I start to feel like I’m being too lazy if that makes sense. Like even though I know rest is always important and things don’t always need to get done, I still like being productive. Maybe a little too much even, but that’s besides the point. The nice thing about school is I always know it’s going to be busy. I’ll always have some assignment to get done, or something to read for a class, on top of all the other things I’m trying to get through in my life. This does raise a problem though where I get really burnt out. Where I just can’t bring myself to get anything done, and then because of that I just feel worse and worse about not doing anything, and that’s never good. 

But I do think it’ll be nice to go back to school if only because it means I’ll finally get the chance to see all of my friends again, and I think this is a pretty common sentiment with many of the other college students. Everyone at my work who goes to college also seems excited to go back to college if only to see their friends. Then it got me thinking about how much I miss my friends, and how that nice balance between productivity and chill time feels better when I have friends to share it with. 

I guess I’m ending this rambly piece by saying that yes I am excited to get back to college, and I’m happy I get to go to one that has so many people loving and supporting me.

Esther Windt is an editor for HC @SAU. Beyond HC, Esther is involved in campus. She is a part of the board for Theatre Appreciation Club as well as the editorial team for the Quercus literary magazine. She is also involved in theatre productions put on by SAU theatre. She also works as a writing tutor with the Student Success Center on campus. She is majoring (Creative Writing Concentration) and Theology. In her free time, she likes to go on runs, writes frequently, as well as watch TV and drinks lots of coffee. A fun fact about Esther is she's never broken a bone