I am not a Woman, I’m a god

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.
Halsey

Okay, I know it’s Women’s History Month, but hear me out. I decided that I’d like to tell you about myself. And while I may not be a god, I am also not a woman. It feels a little weird saying that during Women’s HIstory Month, but it’s important.

I was staring at the page, trying to decide what to write. Should I write about the women I admire? I could tell you about my mother – about her trials and tribulations. I could tell you how she is somehow the kindest person I’ve ever met – despite adversary, she remains a gentle soul. I could tell you about my friend Rachael – a fabulous artist, single mother, and all-around champion. (Please show her some love and check out her Instagram!)

Hi, my name is Barbarian, and I am non-binary, specifically agender. It’s something I’ve known about myself for a long time now, but I didn’t always have the words to express it. I’m grateful for the younger generations advocating for themselves and teaching me more about myself. But I am so damn sorry that y’all are having to do it through such a widespread defamation campaign from conservative bigots. I am grateful every day for my friends and family, for them loving and supporting me. And I am freaking furious for all of you who can’t say the same. For those who reject you and harm you, I have one question. Why? Why are your personal religious beliefs more important to you than the people whom you claim to love? How can you call it love when it calls so strongly for hate? Who hurt you? And why are you passing your hurt on?

I am not a good person. I am an embittered old wreck most of the time. But my gods, I strive to be kind. Why aren’t these people trying? And that brings me to the absolute tragedy that happened in Oklahoma.

I’m talking about Nex Benedict. From what I’ve been able to gather, Nex was transmasc nonbinary. Whether he would have eventually transitioned to male, I don’t know. And we’ll never know now. Nex deserved to live. Nex should be alive today to tell us exactly whatever he wanted to. Or better yet, alive and left alone to live his life how he chose. But the world is currently the way it is, and we don’t get to have nice things. Nex is dead, and a month later, and we still don’t know exactly why. In a nation that prides itself on freedom, we certainly have a whole bunch of people who are real interested in what’s in someone else’s pants. And apparently any answer other than the one they expect, is worth a death penalty.

I want you to ponder that. Why is this your business? Why is it anyone’s business, other than the individual?

Are you okay with the neglect and brutality that Nex suffered? Because I am not. I can’t understand why anybody would be.

Rest in Power Nex. We’ll take it from here.

Fat, disabled, older, art-therapy student. Neurospicy. Nonbinary. They/them pronouns