Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

How to land your dream salary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

It’s that time of year for college seniors; time to start applying for jobs, attend interviews, and, most importantly, negotiate your salary. There are many different negotiation tactics that I feel most individuals are not taught in college. With just a little bit of practice and research, successfully implementing these tactics could make or break your negotiation.

#1: Keep your hands above the table

Keeping your hands under the table during a negotiation makes you look shady, as if you’re hiding something and not being totally truthful. Show that you are serious and have nothing to hide by placing your hands above the table at all times. 

#2: Do your research

One of the most important things to do before a negotiation is to research the current market. What is the average salary for an entry level engineer in Iowa? Having this information will make you more confident going into a negotiation and will give you something to back up your requests. 

#3: Determine your “walk away” point

Before you go into a negotiation, determine your “walk away” point. This means that before you meet with the hiring manager or HR professional, have a specific number in your head that you are comfortable walking away from if they cannot negotiate any higher. 

#4: If they haven’t said “no”, you haven’t pushed far enough

This tactic may surprise some people, but it is true. If they have not said no to you yet, then there is still room to negotiate. 

#5: Be comfortable with silence

Some people use an intimidation tactic of sitting in silence for a while to make you uncomfortable. Practice being okay with sitting there and waiting until they have finished deliberating on your counter offer. This portrays mental toughness and being comfortable with the uncomfortable.

#6: Know your worth

Never go into a negotiation without convincing yourself how much you think you’re worth and why. Think about your past accomplishments and work experience, and have points ready to bring up in the conversation as to why you deserve the salary you claim you do.

#7: Make a values list

There are many other things you can negotiate besides just your annual compensation. If you both come to a roadblock where neither party is willing to budge on the salary, refer to your values list. Offer to sacrifice one of the items at the bottom of your list, such as a sign on bonus, in exchange for something at the top of your list that you really value, like 3 extra days of PTO. 

#8: Ask, “Could you consider…” instead of, “Will you consider…”

Nobody wants to be told that they “can’t” do something. When you phrase a request in a way that makes them feel like you are questioning their ability to do something, they will be more likely to accommodate your request.

#9: Ask for it in writing

After an agreement has been reached, never walk out of the room without something in writing. Things can happen where, for example, the person you negotiated with leaves the company. If you have nothing in writing proving the agreement that you two came to, then you are in a world of trouble.

#10: Always say thank you

Even if the initial offer is the most horrendous number you’ve ever heard, always remember to thank them. The fact that they have chosen you for the position and want what you have to bring to the table is something worth recognizing.

Negotiating can be pretty stressful. Although, if you practice enough and have confidence in yourself, it does get easier. Just remember that you both have a common goal; they want you to work for them and you also want to work for them. From there, you can work as partners instead of adversaries to achieve a mutually beneficial agreement.

I am a junior at St. Ambrose Univerity. I am a Human Resource Management major and am also an intern for John Deere! I am very passionate about writing and collaborating with others. I hope you like my work!