Career

How to Bring the “WOW” to Your Next Job Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

As a senior in college, the time has come to prepare for getting a job. WHAT?! Yes, I cannot believe it, but I am ready to take the next steps toward becoming an adult and that is kind of crazy to think about. Finding jobs to apply for is one hurdle, but actually being offered an interview is another thing completely. When you do get offered an interview, you want to be ready for it. Everyone tells you to know your strengths and weaknesses, but here are a few other tips to help prepare you for your important interview!

Do Your Homework

What do I mean? Research the business, school or wherever you are applying. You want to know their mission, values, goals, initiative, vision, or any other important information about what they are doing there and how you can align with the system already in place. They want to hire someone who they feel connected to and get along with. The more you know, the easier those conversations are going to be and your personality can shine. Even better, wear company or school colors (like your tie or dress color) to show some extra subtle excitement. Every little gesture can go a long way from the way you answer the phone to the way you shake their hand.

Stick to the Point

When they ask you a question, take time to collect your thoughts and answer what they want to know. It is okay to pause, take note of some points you would like to make in your statements, and then give a well thought out and concise response. This is much more meaningful to them than someone talking right away, wasting time getting around to the point, or maybe beating around the bush and never answering what was actually asked of them. They are asking specific questions they want an answer to. You do not need to give more than you are asked for because more than likely they will give you an opportunity at the end to add any other meaningful comments or information about yourself.

woman in black blazer on the phone taking notes
Photo by Anna Shvets from Pexels

Be Prepared

Going off of the previous topic, the best way to stick to the point is to have stories and answers prepared that will assist you in answering questions. You can come in with a professional binder that has a few notes you have already made. This shows you took the time to think about the interview and it allows you to have meaningful anecdotes prepared about how you have already executed or implemented strategies or skills that will be meaningful in this workplace. A detailed story can tell a lot about yourself because your interviewer will know that if you were able to do that somewhere else, then you can do it for them too. It is also good to show areas you would like to grow in. Employers want to see a balance of growth mindset and confidence rather than someone arrogant coming in acting like they have nothing to learn. They want transparency and to get to know you and not just an overly polished version of yourself.

Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels

I hope this helps you have some insight on ways to prepare you may not have considered before and I wish you the best of luck in your interviews to come!

Math Teacher by day, bass player by night and a bee for life <3