Hobbies for All!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

“Do what you love, love what you do.”

Have you ever thought about your hobbies? Is it a sport? Maybe it is a sport you have participating in since Pre-K? Well, my hobby is painting. For those who know me well, they know I am not one to just pick up a sketch book and begin painting. I don’t have the best artistic abilities, but I think that my painting skills have grown. This semester, I decided to enroll in an Introduction to Painting class. As it was completing a general education requirement, it was also a great excuse to start painting. I have only painted two other times in my life: finger painting when I was very young, and again when I was a sophomore in high school.  

I began my art course with no expectations on my ability to paint. I hadn’t done it in years and haven’t picked up a paint brush since. I was worried of my ability, but was also really excited to learn the different ways to paint. To me, I do not view my art class as a requirement, but more as a new-found hobby. Art is a great way to show your own creativity, and experience different hobbies.

It may sound a little cliché, but one of my favorite artists is Vincent Van Gough. Ever since I was in 1st grade, my art teacher showed me the world-famous “Starry Night” masterpiece. I based a couple of my paintings off of Vincent Van Gough’s unique style of using quick, and small brush strokes, creating detailed and beautiful scenes.

I always found that art is a great form of distressing. I always seem to lose my emotions and feelings in a piece of art. Art is one the greatest ways to express one’s self. I always suggest to people investing themselves in their hobbies is a great way to open their minds to new things.

If I found my hobby through a Gen-Ed requirement, how can other people across campus find their hobby?

Exercising is a great way hobby. It allows your mind to release endorphins, relax the mind, and stay in shape. St. Ambrose offers a lot of great programs like yoga, Zumba dance class, and most recently, your own personal trainer! If you were more interested in meeting new people, join or start a new club! St. Ambrose offers so many great clubs that are filled with fun and welcoming people. St. Ambrose and the Quad Cities offer a lot of exciting and fun things to do with your roommates and close friends! 

Hi readers! My name is Mary Blesz! I am a sophomore at St. Ambrose University in Davenport, Iowa. I am double majoring in Marketing and Management, with minors in Public Relations and Organizational Leadership! I am involved with Residence Life on campus, and also cannot wait to help with St. Ambrose's Dance Marathon! Helping out the kids is such a fulfilling thing I have done in the past and can't wait to see where this goes! FTK (For the Kids!)When I am not busy with the mountian full of homework I always have, I will normally be seen with all my friends! My friends are great group of people that I have met here at Ambrose! College has opened my eyes to so many new people! It is kind of interesting to me to meet people from all over; like Chicago (lots of my friends are from the area) and even people who loved in the same hometown!!!I have a huge "passion for fashion." I love to see what is most popular, and incorporate the latest trends within my own style. My style has a mixture of what my mood of the day is! One day I can pull out the high-waisted shorts and the crop top and flaunt my ombre hair, and then another day, wear the classic peplum top, with my hair pulled into a fashionable bun! I love reading about the latest trends and expressing it through my own personal style! I hope you enjoy what I can share with you through my own experiences and stories! Enjoy!!!!
Her Campus at SAU