This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Looking to step out of the man’s world and maybe learn a little herstory? I’ve put together a short list of films and limited series that delve into a wide variety of issues faced by women, perfect for casual viewing this Women’s History Month.

New Films

The Woman King– Available on Netflix

A 2022 film inspired by true events; the story follows a group of all-female fighters in one of the most powerful states of Africa in the 18th century. It’s a star-studded; action-packed film full of women warriors. What’s not to like?

She Said– Available on Peacock (Trigger Warning SA)

Released in 2022, She Said is a biographical drama about the reporters who broke the Harvey Weinstein sexual misconduct story and the many challenges they face along the way. This movie addresses the stigma around sexual violence and the difficulties of holding perpetrators responsible.

Framing Agnes– Available to Rent on Amazon

Part documentary, part reenactment, this film brings a new perspective to the UCLA gender health study from the 1960s. This film explores the case files of the participants and investigates how researchers’ misunderstanding of the trans community may have distorted the portrayal of their experiences. Trans performers and researchers reflect on these experiences and set the stage for an insightful academic dialogue.

Historical

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom– Available on Netflix

In a 1920s recording session in Chicago, Ma Rainey known as the “Mother of Blues” fiercely battles with white producers for creative control over her music as tensions among the musicians arise. A powerful performance from Viola Davis that brings to life the trailblazing icon, Ma Rainey.  

Documentaries

She’s Beautiful When She’s Angry– Available on YouTube

This documentary prides itself on providing a realistic portrayal of the fight for women’s reproductive rights. It addresses the controversy surrounding race and sexuality that has existed in the women’s movement and connects the events of the past to the work needed in the future. It’s funny, frustrating, and at times outrageous.

Knock Down The House– Available on Netflix

A documentary following four female candidates running for Congress in the 2018 election. This documentary discusses the unique challenges they faced as women challenging wealthy, well-established politicians for a chance to represent their community. A moving documentary, made by women for women.

LGBT+

Portrait of a Lady on Fire– Available on Hulu

In a French film set at the end of the 18th century, a young woman of status is set to be married off to a nobleman, despite her hesitation. She soon finds herself drawn to the painter who has been hired to become her companion and memorize her features for a wedding portrait.  The film is a beautiful queer historical romance that has quickly become a modern classic.

Dickinson– Available on Apple TV

Dickinson is a modern comedy inspired by the life and works of the famous young writer. The series explores sexuality, gender, and the constraints of society through the lens of an intelligent young woman intent on challenging the status quo.

Personal Favorite

Promising Young Woman– Available on Amazon Prime (trigger warning)

Years after her best friend was sexually assaulted and completed suicide, a woman takes up a night hobby- meeting men at a bar, feigning drunkenness, and confronting them when they try to take advantage of her. Unable to move past her grief, she embarks on a mission to get revenge on those she holds responsible for her best friend’s death. It’s an emotionally heavy movie, but I guarantee it’ll keep you thinking for days.

Derry Girls– Available on Netflix

A coming-of-age comedy series set in mid-1990s Ireland. Derry Girls follows 4 young women (and a tag-along boy) as they navigate a tense sociopolitical environment, the angst of youth, sexuality, and general teenage nonsense. It’s a hilarious and heartfelt story of female empowerment and the bonds of sisterhood. (And the added bonus of some pretty incredible accents).

Hello, I'm a junior forensic psychology major at St. Ambrose University. I enjoy golfing, reading, baking, and just about any other old lady hobby you can think of!