Entertainment

Four Lesser Known Book Series For You

When I was growing up, I was always a big reader! I read anything I could get my hands on, from Harry Potter to Percy Jackson and everything in between. So when I say that I have some good recommendations, I mean it! Going off of that -  everyone seems to be remembering how much they loved series like Harry Potter and finding out new ones like Throne of Glass. And yes, I read and obsessed over these ones as well, but I certainly didn’t stop there! So you did you read those series and now have no idea where to go next? Well, I’m your girl! So here are 4 of my go-to series from when I was younger, and now!

[bf_image id="qf9itx-8qd7r4-a5u3i5"]  

1. Six of Crows 

So what do a gangster, an acrobat, a scientist, a sharpshooter, an escaped convict, and someone with magic have in common? This duology by Leigh Bardugo is what! Its the sister series to her Shadow and Bone trilogy - and honestly it’s my favorite of the two. It follows the heist of a mismatched crew with an impossible task. Packed with plot twists, drama, and yes a touch of romance, Bardugo paints the intricate world that is Ketterdam. Her characters are diverse, complex, and unique within their own right. I’ll try to avoid spoilers, but I will say this; her characters are not only diverse in race, but in their abilities, personalities, and sexuality. On top of being a wonderful book series - Bardugo’s work is being adapted into a Netflix series that is expected to be released later in 2020!

[bf_image id="q5mim1-9vbkww-4j0jdy"]  

2. Inkheart

This is series is kind of old, and by that I mean it was published in 2003. The Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke was a favorite of mine when I was younger, and to this day I still find myself picking up whenever I’m in a slump. This book tells the story of a bookbinder named Mo, his daughter Meggie, and how his past is catching up quickly. Without giving away too much, I can say this - Mo has an ability that whenever he reads aloud, the story comes to life. Unfortunately for him, not every fairytale includes a happily ever after.  And while there is a movie based on the book, I guarantee the written story is better than the screenplay. This trilogy was one I read in seventh grade and it’s stuck with me ever since, so if you’ve ever imagined a fictional world existing in our world, imagine no further with Inkheart.

[bf_image id="q5asw8-adq380-1p4hpr"]

3. The Lunar Chronicles

So we all know the classic tales of Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and many other princesses and heroes alike. But what if Cinderella was a cyborg? Marissa Meyer tells a twisted version of the tales that we so often read stories of. And while there is still a happy ending, the road to that end is full of twists and turns, heartbreak and love, and adventure that is out of this world. And I mean that literally, the futuristic setting often goes off-world in the adventures of Cinder and her newfound friends. I know retellings of fairytales may seem to get a little old at times, but Meyer’s stories are refreshing and captivating and I always enjoy them. 

[bf_image id="v4kg75vp4stsw9g8zvjbcbx"]

4. Graceling 

This series is another one that’s a little older, it was published in 2008! I found this series by Kristin Cashore right around the time I was reading Inkheart ironically enough. This fantasy trilogy initially follows Kasta and her adventures in a world where certain people have special powers. The only qualification you need? Have two different colored eyes. Kasta’s journey includes self-discovery, newfound friendships, and a hint of romance. All and all its another great series that you can pick up and enjoy at a moment’s notice. 

[bf_image id="q6zy9x-gbcrf4-111fn5"]

While everyone has different tastes and ideas of entertainment, these are some of the stories I hoped to share with you. I have many many more where those came from. Reading a book series is a great way to escape the craziness of this world for a while, and enjoy the craziness of a fictional one for a change. These series might not be your cup of tea, but that’s alright - you see that’s the things about books, you can pick them up and devour them or spit them out. Either way, you’ve become just a touch more knowledgeable than you were before. And in the words of Cornelia Funke, “ books have to be heavy - they have whole worlds inside of them.” 

Just a psych major looking to share some words!