This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

I don’t know about anyone else but I’m really tired of being told “flaunt it if you got it.” It’s been the main thing people tell me when I decide to buy new clothes. Why? Because I have the body for it.

And before any of you freak out, no it is not being done maliciously nor is it being done out of an attempt to sexualize me. It is all coming from a good place. They are basically saying I should be proud of my body and should not be afraid of wearing anything.

Great message. I have nothing against it. Honestly if it was just that message, I wouldn’t be as bothered, but it’s not just that. 

See, I have been told before that I dress like a slob or a hobo. This is because I like to wear oversized shirts and non-skin tight pants. If I’m not wearing an oversized shirt, then I’m most likely wearing a t-shirt that isn’t exactly form fitting. Then the pants I like to wear are more sporty or even loungy. Essentially, I like being comfy and wearing outfits that I don’t need to put a lot of effort in. One could even say I like wearing outfits that don’t show a lot, be it either through a form fitting look or through showing some skin (which in my case can literally just be my shoulders). Then if I am wearing something that could be revealing, there is a chance I’ll have layers to my outfit.

Now, I’m not ashamed of my body or anything. The only time I’m uncomfortable is whenever dysmorphia decides to hit but otherwise I’m pretty neutral overall. As that said, I also don’t really care about “flaunting” my body. If I decide not to wear a graphic tee, then I tend to wear shirts with cold-shoulders or off-the-shoulder looks. I’ve even worn V-necks or sheer tops (though those are usually with a tank top underneath).

See the reasons I dress the way I do is because I want to be comfy. I want to be able to move without feeling like my shirt is going to ride up or that my legs will be too confined. In fact, I hate tight and/or restraining pants (clothing in general but it mostly applies to pants), because I don’t like feeling constrained in that way, and I also get overheated easily. Looser clothes means less overheating.

For example, I don’t like jeans because they are too stiff for me. I know there are different styles of jeans out there, but most of them are too stiff for me to actually enjoy wearing. I feel too constrained in regular jeans so don’t even get me started on skinny jeans. Leggings are the only skin-tight things I’ll wear and even those I don’t enjoy without a little bit of looseness to them. I could do it, especially if they are known to be light, but they have to be super comfy leggings then.

And sure, sometimes oversized things can get uncomfortable too, but that’s only when it’s so baggy I have to adjust the shirt ten times before I’m comfortable. But the baggy clothes aren’t an issue there, no the baggy clothes are an issue because I prefer non-form fitting shirts.

But why is that an issue? Why is it a problem I want to be comfy for most of the times I get dressed to hang out? Sure, maybe I don’t have a lot of “party clothes” but I’m not a partier and my good friends know this. 

Just because I have the body to “flaunt it” doesn’t mean I have to.

If I want to flaunt it, I will. I have some clothes for that, but I typically do not. And this applies to everyone who reads this article. 

If you don’t want to flaunt it, you don’t have to. If you want to, go right ahead. I won’t stop you.

And sure, maybe there are some dress codes places that mean either you should cover up more or show less. And sure, don’t look like a hobo to a wedding or an important event. Maybe flaunt a bit if you are going to a nightclub. Or maybe look like a hobo if you’re doing a quick run to Walmart.

But overall, I think a person should dress how they want. Maybe not always when they want as stated with the examples before this paragraph, but if you have nice clothes to go to a family party that don’t really flaunt anything but also aren’t like a hobo, then what is the issue.

Especially since dressing nice doesn’t mean you have to wear something form fitting. Sure, you want to look good in what you wear, but if you look good and are comfortable? Well, you hit the jackpot if you ask me.

So overall, I think the saying should be “Flaunt it if you want to” not “if you got it”. You want to flaunt it? Go right ahead. You don’t want to? Then you don’t have to.

Hi! I'm Mary (they/them, xe/xem, it/its) and I am a graduate in the Occupational Therapy program. I graduated with a major in Psychology and a minor in Biology. I am a member of PRISM, SOTA, and the Tabletop Gaming Club. I am a huge nerd and bookwyrm.