Wellness > Mental Health

Feeling Guilty About Limited Finances During the ‘Happiest Time of the Year’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Generally speaking, being a college student is stressful. For a lot of us, living off a tight wallet throughout the year makes the college experience even more stressful. During the holiday season, the financial pressures can seem almost suffocating. It’s natural for us to want to spoil our friends and family, especially if they’re showering us with gifts! Personally, an immense amount of guilt sets in when someone excitedly tells me that they bought me something I’m going to love because I know that I cannot gift anything in return, no matter how much I want to. Very quickly the ‘happiest time of the year’ can begin to feel extremely stressful and anxiety-inducing. If you’re feeling this way, be assured that you are not alone! Many of us share this experience. 

I think it is an important reminder that the holidays, regardless of what you celebrate, are about spending time with your loved ones, some of whom you may not see often. It is so easy to fall into the cycle of attributing the holidays to consumerism and placing a price tag on what you can contribute. However, your presence is enough. For that matter, ANYTHING you can do for your friends and family is enough! The majority of us enjoy giving and receiving gifts, but what you can and can’t afford is not worth as much emphasis as we put on it. I am well aware that thinking this way is much easier said than done, but it truly is a crucial reminder for yourself (and honestly everyone) to be kinder to yourself and understanding of your circumstances!

There is another important reminder here. We are all in college which is a massive investment. Many of us either work while in college or on our breaks to be able to afford the cost of living while at school, to pay upfront, or chip away at loans. With that being said, expecting yourself to break the bank during the holidays with this huge financial burden looming over you is not fair or reasonable. Most of our friends and family understand this, too! We live off limited finances throughout the whole year, and it is unrealistic to buy for everyone we care about when the holidays roll around, especially when another semester (accompanied by yet another bill from school) is approaching. 

It is inevitable that the holiday guilt will sneak in for some of us. So, I want to reiterate a few main points that you can say to yourself when this happens:

1. You are not alone in feeling financial guilt during the holidays. 
  2. You are a college student, and your focus and finances are aimed at this lifelong investment right now. 
  3. You are enough of a gift for your loved ones during the holiday season! Please, do not forget that!

Happy Holidays to you all!

Hello! I am a Forensic Psychology Major with Minors in Criminal Justice and Sociology. I am the secretary for Sexual Assault Awareness Team and am involved in STEP and Psychology Club at St. Ambrose University. In my free time I enjoy painting and embroidering, being a dog mom, and spending time with my friends!