This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Is it possible for something to be more annoying than a beauty emergency?

Oh yes…you know what I mean! You worked so hard for this presentation. It’s by far the most important speech you will have to give in your university career…and you wake to a huge pimple. Sound familiar?

Or let me guess: you are rocking a cute outfit feeling like you can conquer the world until you look at yourself in the mirror and realize your hair is all frizzy from the wind. Quick! What to do?

Fear no more, my lovely collegiettes. There is always a solution! A few tricks up your sleeve should do the job just fine.

Frizzy hair is the worst. Evidently it hasn’t listened to Taylor Swift’s bullying song! There it seems to go throwing tantrums when it doesn’t like the weather. Thankfully, there are a few things to do to prevent those pesky little hairs to stand on edge. You can try to sleep on a silk or satin pillowcase or scarf. The smooth surface will eliminate the tugging of your hair that generally happens when you sleep on a cotton pillowcase. This will bring hair breakage to a minimum, and eventually make frizziness become less obvious.

If this doesn’t sound very comfortable, (if you’re using the scarf it really isn’t) then try to use a hair mask to deeply condition your hair. An easy and affordable mask to wear is a little bit of olive oil. Message a few teaspoons throughout your hair and allow it to sit at least half an hour before you shower it off. Be careful not to use too much because it can make you break out. A conditioned and moisturized scalp will not prevent frizz but it will help keep major frizz at bay. 

Lastly, another tip is to rub a little bit of lotion on your hands and run them through your hair. Don’t use too much or it can make your hair look greasy. Hand cream may also be used, but hair is much more likely to look greasy.

Hair isn’t the only object of our frustration.

Pimples seem to sneak up on the worst possible times. Dab a little bit of toothpaste on the blemish. Let it stand for about 15 minutes. Make some green tea and let it cool. After you’ve rinsed off the toothpaste wash your face. Moisten a cotton ball with the cooled green tea and dab it on the infected area. The toothpaste will help the pimple dry up faster, and green tea has properties that bring down redness and swelling of the skin. It also helps skin heal faster and prevents scarring.

Will these emergencies ever cease? Probably not, but until then, ladies, you are armed with the tools needed to stop hassling on these little things (that seem so big when they happen) and worry about the things that matter. Live life to the fullest and remember you’re beautiful inside and out!

Mary is a senior at St. Ambrose University majoring in English and journalism. She is originally from Naperville, IL and hopes to one day be back in Chicago. In the past Mary has interned for Sourcebooks, a publishing company in Naperville, and this past year she studied abroad in London and interned at Parliament. She hopes to one day be an editor in publishing at a magazine or at a publishing group like Penguin. Besides being the founding editor of Her Campus St. Ambrose, Mary is also a writing tutor at St. Ambrose. In her free time, she loves to travel, hang out with family and friends, and shop a little bit too much at Gap and J. Crew!