This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Dear Freshman Class of 2020,

Welcome to St. Ambrose University! For the next four years, you will call this amazing campus home. And trust me, these next four years are going to bee the best years of your life.

Congratulations you survived your first week of college, now go on, take a minute to pat yourself on the back. That is no small feat. Within that week you (hopefully) successfully moved in to your new dorm, made new friends, figured out what food is edible and what food is not in the caf, got yourself up in the mornings and went to class. If you were able to check off all five of these things, then you my friend are officially a functioning college student. But, don’t get too ahead of yourself, there are plenty of things for you little bees to still learn.

Ambrose is an amazing community full of some really awesome people, so do not bee afraid to get out there and meet some of them (We also really love our bee puns. You can only use them for four years so might as well use the shit out of them). With that community comes with some really cool professors who actually care about you and how well you are doing, so never ever be afraid to go to them to ask for help. That is what they’re here for and it is what they love doing. Also there are tons of tutors out there to help you with that subject that you just are not so good at, and just because you go to a tutor for a class does not mean you are not smart, it just means you actually care about your grades and want to do well.

JOIN A CLUB!!! I cannot say it enough, get involved and doing something with your life besides ‘Netflix and Chill’. The club you join does not just have to be some random club that has nothing to do with your major if that is what concerns you. There are tons of clubs that are specific to certain majors on campus. Say you are a Communications major, there is The Buzz, SAUTV, KALA Radio, BeeMedia and HerCampus all in one major that you could get involved in. But, if you just want to join a club for the fun of it then we have those too! Running club, Dance club and Knitting club are just a few to name. Don’t bee afraid to go out there and join one. Club fest is coming up on August 30 from 2-4 which is a great chance to see all the clubs in a super casual setting and you can win some free stuff. What college student doesn’t like free stuff!

Do Dance Marathon! It is the best decision you will ever make in your life. It is a long 12 hours of standing and dancing but it is so rewarding. In the end that you will not even mind how much your feet hurt. All the families you help are so amazing and you can really see the difference you are making for them!

As we come to the end of this little talk of ours I would like to leave you with a few more words of wisdom. Do not use all of your Buzz Bucks by midterms, no matter how delicious the food is there. If you have ever been to mass or have ever thought about going to one of the services here, I would highly recommend it. Father Chuck is an amazing speaker and person in general; we are so lucky to have him here. Finally, call your parents at least once a week. They miss you more than you will ever know and sometimes it is good just to hear your mom and dad’s voices. They have been through this already and might surprise you with all the good advice they have for you.

Once a Bee, always a Bee.

Sincerely,

The Sophomore Class of 2019

Hi, my name is MacKenzie, but all my friends call me Mac. I am a sophomore here at SAU where I play softball, President of BeeMedia, Events Editor for HerCampus SAU, a pro-Netflix watcher, and slowly trying to become Oliva Pope.  
Her Campus at SAU