“Carmen”: Music Honoring the Unsung Heroes

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Olivia Dean, a London-born musician of Jamaican-Guyanese descent, burst into the music scene in 2019 with her debut EP “OK Love You Bye,” which was recorded in a converted east London pub. In 2021, Dean was recognized as Amazon Music’s breakthrough artist of the year and in 2022 she was named BBC Music Introducing Artist of the Year.

June 2023 marked the release of Dean’s debut album, “Messy,” and solidified her status as a rising star in the industry. With her multicultural influences and soulful voice, Olivia Dean continues to captivate audiences and grow her fanbase.

The song “Carmen,” featured in Olivia Dean’s debut album “Messy,” is a touching tribute to her grandmother’s resilience and the immigrant experience. Dean incorporates audio of her grandmother recounting her first time on an airplane immigrating to England. Dean explains, “Carmen is a love letter to my granny and an ode to the wind rush generation…I am a product of her bravery and I want her to be remembered forever!”.

“Carmen” is a song that celebrates the bravery of the women who immigrated to create better lives for themselves and, ultimately, for us. Despite receiving little recognition or celebration from society, these women have sacrificed and given their descendants everything. As we honor Women’s History Month, “Carmen” offers a much-needed celebration of their experiences and an opportunity to reflect and appreciate their contributions.

You can stream Olivia Dean’s debut album ‘Messy’, on all major streaming platforms.

Hello, I'm a junior forensic psychology major at St. Ambrose University. I enjoy golfing, reading, baking, and just about any other old lady hobby you can think of!