This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

May is mental health awareness month so I’ve put together a list of books that come highly recommended by my psychology professors at St. Ambrose University.  Whether you know nothing about psychology and just want to build a better mental framework, have some past experiences that you’re trying to work through, or just a psychology nerd, there’s something here for everyone.

Positive Psychology books to educate you on healthy mindsets and help rework unhealthy habits:

Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy 

by David D. Burns

What’s it about?

Anxiety, depression, and some scientifically proven techniques to help develop a more positive outlook.

Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life 

by Martin E. P. Seligman 

What’s it about?

Techniques to break a pessimistic thinking pattern and adopt optimistic behaviors

Books discussing trauma, its impacts, and the path towards resiliency:

The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma 

by Bessel van der Kolk M.D.

What’s it about?

How trauma impacts the bodies of survivors and new innovative paths to recovery and well being

The Drama of the Gifted Child: The Search for the True Self 

by Alice Miller

What’s it about?

The long-lasting effects of childhood trauma and the “gift” of resiliency that allows survivors to reclaim their lives

Books for psychology majors looking to make their profession personal:

Treating the Self: Elements of Clinical Self Psychology 

by Ernest S. Wolf 

What’s it about?

Discusses the experiences of client and practitioner, facilitating positive relationships, and understanding how our personal experiences can affect the therapeutic process.

The Dilemma of Psychology: A Psychologist Looks at His Troubled Profession 

by Lawrence Leshan (Author)

What’s it about?

The achievements and failings of psychology and the trends in research and treatment. Discusses what the field is doing wrong and how we can improve. Many of these criticisms written 30 years ago are still relevant today.

Hello, I'm a junior forensic psychology major at St. Ambrose University. I enjoy golfing, reading, baking, and just about any other old lady hobby you can think of!