Life > Experiences

Benefits of Practicing Gratitude in College

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.
  1. Improved Relationships- Gratitude helps you be more mindful and appreciative of those around you. It improves your connection with them and strengthens bonds. It also helps you be more empathetic and compassionate towards them.
  2. Increased Positive Emotions- Gratitude has been linked to increased happiness and satisfaction with life. It creates an overall sense of well-being and contentment. This makes it easier to accomplish your goals and enjoy the journey along the way.
  3. Better Sleep Quality- When you’re thankful for what you have, it’s easier to fall asleep without worrying about all the things that are going wrong. You can rest peacefully knowing that life is full of good things, not just stresses and disappointments.
  4. Less anxiety- When you’re anxious, it means you’re thinking too much about what might happen. Gratitude helps you focus on the present instead of worrying about the future. It allows you to trust that everything will turn out alright.
  5. Improved Self-esteem- Practicing gratitude gives you an appreciation for your life and all the successes that come with it. This boosts your self-esteem and self-confidence. When you recognize your own worth, it’s easier to tackle any challenges that come up. 
  6. Better Physical Health- The physical benefits of gratitude are vast. It’s been linked to improved heart health, increased immunity, and lower levels of inflammation. It can even reduce stress hormones like cortisol and adrenaline. Both of those have a direct effect on your physical health.
Abby is a VP Editor in Chief at HC@ SAU. She overseas the editors and editing articles. Beyond HC, Abby is involved in STEP. Abby is majoring in Human Performance and Fitness, Pre-Occupational Therapy. In her free time, Abby enjoys playing with her bunny, Lulu and going out with friends to get coffee. Fun fact: Lulu is our club mascot!