The Art of Taking an A+ Foodstagram

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

Food is taking over Instagram. Don’t get me wrong, there are still plenty of selfies and landscapes to go around, but I’m just saying that if Instagram were a person, that person would likely weigh more than a semi truck made of lead. These dominating food fotos aren’t just careless snaps of an average cheeseburger, however. They’re strategically placed, posed and precisely edited in a way that makes an afternoon grilled cheese look like it earned a Michelin star.

Anything from veggies and smoothies to sammies and ice cream are as many or more likes than Justin Bieber, but I won’t lie, it takes some work. Creating a heart-worthy foodstagram isn’t too different from getting a great selfie: it that takes thought, preparation and, most importantly, some fierce lighting. 

Over the last year or so, I’ve become shameless and obsessive with my food foto-taking habits. I’ve gone from knowing nothing about foodstagrams to considering myself a slightly above average amateur foodstagram photographer (see examples below).

And, because I love looking at great foodstagrams almost as much as I love taking and posting them, I’m sharing my food-obsessed photography tips with all of you. Here we go.

1) Get that angle, girl.

Consider what kind of food you’re photographing before deciding to go with a certain angle. If you’re about do indulge something layered (i.e. a burger or stack of pancakes), it’s probably best to go from the side or at table-level. For an entire plate or table set up, go from above. For a fool-proof option, take a few snaps from a few different angles. Your camera roll will probably be bogged down with moments like this:

2) Focus.

Make sure you’re focused on what you want to highlight. If you’re holding a drink in front of your boyfriend across the table, make sure you’re focused on whichever subject you really want to post (most likely the drink). A poorly focused foodstagram leads to a lack of detail, which lessens the salivation factor for all of us.

Here’s an example of a foodstagram YOU SHOULD NOT POST because it is just sad.

Instead, tap that [screen], and you’ll get something better, like this:

3) #NoFilter is the best filter.

Try to keep the photo as natural as possible. Over the years, I’ve realized the best foodstagrams are edited only using enhancements, not actual filters. Utilize the highlights, contrast, brightness and structure features to make the details of your plate stand out without changing its natural colors. See bad and good examples below.

Bad (my first foodstagram ever):

Good (June 2015):

3) Keep it clean simple.

Try not to have smeared (or any) condiments on the plate next to the food. It helps to take your pics as soon as the food comes out (unless you’re going for the bite-taken look). Also avoid using dinnerware that looks cheap or busy—which, I know, can be difficult as a college student. I usually try to stick to a white plate or hold the food off of the plate to keep the focus on the food, right where it should be. Which leads to my next tip…

4) Don’t be a distraction.

Chipped nails, dirty hands or too much face action just draws away from the star of the photo. If your nails, shoes or floor don’t make for good photo accessories, try a different approach. The photo below, for example, is clean and simple. The chipped nail, however, is just annoying enough to catch the eye.

5) Find the light.

I’m not saying you have to find Jesus, but a foodstagram without the light is asking for trouble. Natural light is undoubtedly the best light for highlighting and contouring that gorgeous food’s features, so do your best to take your photos near windows and during the daytime. I wish I were kidding when I say I strategically sit near windows in every restaurant I go to, these days, but I’m as serious as it gets. If there’s no sunlight to be found, go with the whitest light you can find, and, for the love of Liza, DO NOT USE A FLASH. It’s just not flattering, and your food will probably untag itself.

Lighting that is just downright insulting to such a beautiful margarita:

vs. Lighting that SLAYS:

6) OWN YOUR FOODSTAGRAM. YOU ROCK THAT FOODSTAGRAM.

Last and most importantly, do NOT be embarrassed of your foodstagram. It took me a while to embrace my foodstagram obsession, but I’ve learned that the best food fotos take sacrifice. If you want to get an ariel view of your bomb @$$ pizza, stand up and take it. Who cares if people look at you? You’re paying for this meal, and you deserve to have something to remember it by… other than the crippling heartburn that hits you a few hours later. When it comes to food, we should all have one motto, ladies: go big or go home.

All photos courtesy of my Instagram: @maddicarr__

I'm Maddi(son). I like to talk, laugh, and eat cake and peanut butter in copious amounts. Call me maybe. 
Her Campus at SAU