Antonio Raya, ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

This spring break, many SAU students showed the nation what it means to be an Ambrosian. Groups of students accompanied Habitat for Humanity to various locations throughout America to volunteer their services for the week rather than jetting off to typical spring break locales.

Junior, Antonio Raya, was one of these volunteers. Tony traveled to Corpus Christi, Texas with numerous peers from St. Ambrose.

During the trip, Tony truly felt that he was participating in something bigger than himself. Each day, he says, the group woke up at 6:30 a.m. and traveled to the work site. There, they helped to build houses for people who had nothing.

“I enjoyed working with my peers toward a common goal of helping out a family in need.  It was truly rewarding knowing that I was making a difference in someone’s life.”

Tony’s spirit of service is obvious here on campus, as well. As a part of the Student Government Association, he found the opportunity to give back to our local community. This has been particularly true of Bee the Difference Day which SGA organizes each fall. As a freshman, Tony was a participant in the day. Last year, he took charge of the day. He organized more than 350 students who then went out into the community surrounding Ambrose to help out our neighbors.

In addition to trips and taking charge of local service, Tony is also involved in campus ministry, as a Eucharistic Minister and a part of several Antioch teams. This spring, he is excited to be a dancer for Dance Marathon.

Even in his work, Tony is giving to the St. Ambrose community. He works in the Admissions Office as a work study and tour guide and in the International Office as an International Ambassador. Tony is well suited for this position because he is a first-generation American, as both of his parents were born and raised in Mexico. Because of this, Tony’s first language is Spanish.

When asked why Tony brought his giving personality to St. Ambrose, Tony’s answer is simply, “Why not?!” Being from East Moline, Tony doesn’t travel far to get to campus, but he feels that this really is a home away from home.

“You form meaningful relationships here at St. Ambrose. Plus, I had always wanted to receive a Catholic education, and I knew that Ambrose could provide me with such an opportunity.”

The lifestyle Tony has created for himself is clearly one based around helping and serving others. He plans to continue this throughout his career as well. After he graduates, he plans to enroll in SAU’s Master of Occupational Therapy program.

“I want to someday own my own clinic and use dog therapy as a method of helping kids in their rehabilitation.”

Through this passion, Tony truly encompasses what it means to be an Ambrosian and sets an example for all students to follow.

Her Campus at SAU