This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

A woman who has inspired me would without a doubt be none other than my beautiful mother. Some may say that their mother is their best friend, but she is so much more than just that. 

My mother has instilled in me since childhood some of the best advice I have ever received. One thing she has always repeatedly said to me is “know your worth.” These words are imprinted in my brain. She has taught me to be the most confident version of myself. When I wake up in the morning and look at myself in the mirror I am reminded of her and her encouraging words to get me through the day. She makes sure to tell me everyday how beautiful I am on both the inside and outside so I never forget.

She has always taught me not only to treat everyone with respect and kindness, but to also put myself in other’s shoes. When I was a young girl she would tell me to always be a friend to others and because of her I am the person I am today. I always hear her voice in the back of my head, especially when I need it the most.

When I was just a baby, my mother would play I Hope You Dance by Lee Ann Womack. Every time I listen to the lyrics, not only do I get choked up because I can hear her voice singing it to me, but they also inspire me to be hopeful. The lyrics that stick with me the most are, “I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance, Never settle for the path of least resistance, Livin’ might mean takin’ chances, but they’re worth takin’.”

My mother is one of the most generous people I have ever met. She prioritizes me over anything else. I am so grateful for her and everything she has done for me. When I have children of my own I hope I can be as good as a mom as she is. I know she is not only an inspiration to me, but also to others around her.

a photo of me and my mother
Original photo by Alexis Terrana
My name is Alexis Terrana. I am from Chicago, Illinois and I am currently a sophomore. I am double majoring in Journalism and Public Relations with a double minor in Spanish and Sports Management. I am on the dance team here at Saint Ambrose.