Life > Experiences

Aloe: One of the easiest plants to keep alive!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.
  • It does best in full sun but may tolerate a bit of shade, and prefers sandy, well-drained soil.
  • As with most succulents, this one benefits from watering when it dries out during growth and bloom periods, although it tolerates drought well.
  • Start by placing your aloe plant in a pot with good drainage. The pot’s diameter should be 1 to 2 inches larger than the root ball.
  • Keep your aloe plant in a spot with bright, indirect light.
  • Aloe is sensitive to drastic fluctuations in temperature.
  • Let the soil dry out between waterings.
  • Aloe grows really slowly.
  • Aloe vera is a popular medicinal plant with antioxidant and antibacterial properties. It may be useful for reducing dental plaque, accelerating wound healing, preventing wrinkles, and managing blood sugar, among others. Aloe vera, or Aloe barbadensis, is a thick, short-stemmed plant that stores water in its leaves.
Abby is a VP Editor in Chief at HC@ SAU. She overseas the editors and editing articles. Beyond HC, Abby is involved in STEP. Abby is majoring in Human Performance and Fitness, Pre-Occupational Therapy. In her free time, Abby enjoys playing with her bunny, Lulu and going out with friends to get coffee. Fun fact: Lulu is our club mascot!